Just wondering...

Guest LinkPen

Does anyone else listen to music while they write? I do most of the time. It helps keep the creativity flowing. It also helps set the mood for the story. For example, if there is a battle scene I listen to epic music. Or, if there is a sad scene, I listen to soft or sad music.

I used to listen to music while I read, but I don't do that much anymore. Now I just read. 

Quiet ones are not alone. I suspect it depends upon one's learning style. I am easily distracted by TV, radio, whatever. Even soft music when I'm writing doesn't work. 

However, I can sleep through a thunderstorm. And it took an hour for my alarm to wake me at 1 am to feed the lambs.

Yes, up to a point. I write devotionals and inspirational stories. Sometimes, I don't have any music on. When I do, I can only listen to instrumentals because if someone is singing, I usually end up singing along and losing my concentration! 🙃 However, when I get down to really trying to finish and/or edit, I usually have to turn it off. 😉

It depends, really. If it's classical music or instrumental hymns, then I wouldn't deny them while I write. However, I keep falling into the trap of scrolling through YouTube and wasting 30 minutes of precious writing time going through different videos... I can't have music playing while I'm doing homework (keyboarding homework is an exception, because all I'm doing is keying stuff and I can sing along or talk to someone on the phone).

But, to sum up my little rambling here, it just depends. 🙂

I need music to write. I try to pick a soundtrack (no lyrics, as others have mentioned), that is from a work with a similar setting to my manuscript. That way, they "match".  I've found that a good video game soundtrack can be great for this. They're usually very long. 

I listen to movie soundtracks and film scores. I love the YouTube Music ability to pick a representative song and use that to create a Radio station based on that vibe and energy.