Would a MacBook be worth the investment?

Would a MacBook be worth the investment?   

6 members have voted

1. 1. Would a MacBook be worth the investment?

• Yes
    • No

I am considering getting a MacBook because much of the software for self-publishing is better compatible with it than the Chromebook I am currently using. However, with a little extra time and maybe extra learning, I can make it work and save the money for other things. What do you all think? Would it be worth it, and why? 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Alley said:

I am considering getting a MacBook because much of the software for self-publishing is better compatible with it than the Chromebook I am currently using. However, with a little extra time and maybe extra learning, I can make it work and save the money for other things. What do you all think? Would it be worth it, and why? 

I say no, but I don't think any Apple product is worth the premium. I'm sure someone from the iCult will be along any second now to say otherwise. 😅

• Haha 1

the term PC can relate to a laptop or desktop, it is actually a rather crude use of the term which they probably meant why don't you get a windows laptop

I have worked in IT for 20 years and have fixed both macbooks and laptops, PC's and iMac's. I have owned android and ios devices, I tell you this as I am not a fanboy of either side. They both have their pros and cons, and depending on what you want to use it for, each may be better suited to particular activities. Unfortunately neither laptop or macbook is better in the area you are asking about apart from software designed for a particular OS. Either laptops or macbooks you can be fortunate or unfortunate to get a product that lasts a long time or turns out to be a dud, though the scales usually tilt towards apple products lasting longer, but then you are paying much more for that benefit. If you know anyone who owns a macbook, I would suggest seeing if you can spend some time using it and see how much you like it outside of the self-publishing software area. At the end of the day despite all advice that can be given to you, only you can determine if it is the right fit for you and if you want to pay the extra money. A Macbook either locks you into Apple or a laptop locks you into Microsoft.

• Thanks 1

I received the iPad Air 4 and Apple Pencil as Christmas gifts. It’s been great so far. I also purchased the magic keyboard. I am not sure if it will run the programs that you want, but it could be another more affordable option.... I also have an iPhone and an Apple Watch, but i am not a member of any colt! Officially....

Sent from my iPad🙂

• Haha 2

If you need the software, then a laptop is a good investment. I don’t know if you have to pay for a MacBook specifically. HP and Dell are fairly reputable, but I wouldn’t pay for the cheap ones. Go at least for the mid range model. Even so, their mid range is cheaper than a MacBook, at least last time I checked.

@Amosathar has really good advice. 

I use an HP that runs Windows for personal work and writing, and a MacBook for teaching. If you have questions about how either works, let me know.!

• Like 1

First, Chromebooks may be inexpensive, but they are almost all cheaply made.  We've gone through at least 6 Chromebooks for the kids, because the schools mandated them.  Even when the kids took good care of them, they fell apart after a while.

Second, in my opinion, Apple products are not worth the money.  They only become worth the money if you are doing video work, or make music.  They are overpriced for what they are built to do.  And your options for compatible software are limited by comparison to other devices.

That being said, if your preferred software only runs on a Mac...well...get a Mac.

And the Cult of Apple is very real.  I remember having a discussion with an individual as to Apple products, and he went off about how the looks and the design of the iPhone was akin to a work of art.

It's a frickin' phone.  Not Rodin's The Thinker.

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Jeff Potts said:

Chromebooks may be inexpensive, but they are almost all cheaply made.

That's so funny! When i was in highschool (15ish) years ago it was the same thing! As an adult, I had one that worked great all the way until they no longer had updates for it. Been running this one for several years, and it works fine. No idea what the difference is! 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Alley said:

I am considering getting a MacBook because much of the software for self-publishing is better compatible with it than the Chromebook I am currently using.

The only indie-publishing software that's solely compatible with the Mac is Vellum (it does excellent book formatting for anyone else who doesn't know). However, there are workarounds for PC owners that involve using a virtual machine.

I format my ebooks using Jutoh, which puts out clean, standards-compliant books. It costs one tenth of Vellum's price tag. I use a template from The Book Designer for my print books, and they look amazing, if I do say so myself. 😅 They, too, cost a fraction of Vellum, and my books don't resemble all the other books out there done with Vellum. Admittedly, it takes more effort and time to format the way I do, so there is that tradeoff.

Mac owners also claim that their Scrivener is better. Perhaps it is but, honestly, I don't miss extra bells and whistles. Scrivener on PC already has way more functionality than I need or use.

And PCs have one big advantage: they can run Dragon dictation software. Macs have only an inferior version which will no longer be supported. Dictation has been a huge game changer for me and nothing out there comes even close to Dragon, unless you want to pay a human to transcribe for you.

Mac computers have the repuation of being more reliable than PCs, but a big reason for that is Macs only use high-end components. You can get a PC with equally powerful components if you know what you're looking for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alley,

I am currently writing on my second MacBook. (I tripped and dropped the first one on its end, which did not do it any good. It still works, but the wireless internet does not.)

I like my MacBook, but it has a steep learning curve. I don't know about Chromebooks, but I imagine they work more like Windows PCs. With all the other challenges your life holds, my recommendation would be, as PenName suggested, a good mid-range PC laptop. Do some research as to what brand would be best and most cost effective. Macs are good, but they are expensive. You don't need a Cadillac. A nice Chevy or Nissan will do the same.

One suggestion, and this is minor, because there are adapters.My MacBook has what I think is USB C ports, for the smaller, oblong USBs. The older USB A or B flashdrives and attachments don't work without an adapter. Check what you have and buy a laptop that accepts what you have. (With a little research, I found that Chromebooks have either kind, depending on who makes it. Not a major game changer, but something to consider.)

Check out the software that you are considering. Can you find comparable programs for the PC? My experience has been that programs are first written for Windows and then opened up to Macs. (That seems to be changing.) Folks here can recommend good software.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Alley said:

I am considering getting a MacBook because much of the software for self-publishing is better compatible with it than the Chromebook I am currently using.

For Christmas, I bought a base model Mac mini with the M1 chipset for $699. On Monday, I installed a KVM switch so I can use one keyboard / mouse / headphones to control either the Mac or my PC using both my monitors. It works pretty well.

I did this so I could use Scrivener 3 in its native form in MacOS.image.thumb.png.b4856b575a9c5f1b32f69bfaa966218f.png

I press one yellow button to switch between Mac and PC.
image.thumb.png.d1b69192280877fd45b2c51200acc818.png

Interestingly, video looks better on Safari / Apple TV+ than it does on Chrome, so I now watch most of my video on the Mac side.
image.thumb.png.65a4e21adba0266ce9b177d3434fef55.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's worth noting that now is a great time to try Mac - the new M1 chipset is a game-changer. I note that the MacBook Air was last year's Apple Product of the Year. (If I needed a laptop instead of a desktop, I would have gone with the MacBook Air over the MacBook Pro for two reasons: the Air has a better angle for extended typing sessions, and still has the physical F-keys instead of the Touch Bar. However, all I really needed was the Mac mini, and that was quite a bit less expensive while remaining both fanless and very powerful.)
https://9to5mac.com/2020/12/31/m1-macbook-air-product-of-the-year/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, Alley said:

What do you all think?

Speaking anecdotally, I can tell you I'm having more fun on the Mac side. Windows is powerful but a tad utilitarian. Mac stuff is also powerful but feels more elegant. The apps are prettier and I've enjoyed working over there more overall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Alley I have both a MacBook Pro (not published on before--purchased mainly for filmmaking/media) and a HP. Mac has an outstanding video and image resolution compared to my PC, but there are other pros and cons. Not sure if you should get one solely for publishing purposes. If you have any specific questions or want more detail, just let me know!  🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1