Christian literary agents eye diversity expansion

From Publishers Weekly:

A surge of new literary agents and agencies are drawing on years of experience in Christian publishing in order to meet a growing demand for fresh voices, broaden the industry’s author pool, and help houses eager to reach mainstream readers. Among these new agents are book industry veterans who are interested in shepherding a new generation of Christian writers, including more people of color, into a wider market.

Although as I said in another post. LAs in the UK are now actively inviting BME authors to submit work. Some agents have their writing schools where they scout for potential clients. The courses are quite expensive and give the agents an addition income. 

1 hour ago, suspensewriter said:

Whoa-- that's kind of a rip-off!

Yeap, agreed. Although the counterargument would be a short course by a professional organisation has advantages over university degree course which are the other options. 

I can see the benefit for the successful student who gets signed up and for the agent - but what about the others?

I checked out the sites of  Page Commons & Drop of Ink.  Both look to be consultancy services for writers rather than agents or publishers. The info about how they help you and how much it will cost is non-existence.  The pitch is mainly sales and self-promotion.

What do others think?

On 1/19/2021 at 3:13 PM, Shamrock said:

I checked out the sites of  Page Commons & Drop of Ink.  Both look to be consultancy services for writers rather than agents or publishers. The info about how they help you and how much it will cost is non-existence.  The pitch is mainly sales and self-promotion.

What do others think?

The "wish list" from Gardner Literary:

• Next generation voices in the faith community
  • Books about the intersection of faith and culture
  • Deconstructing and reconstructing faith; asking hard questions about faith
  • Books by BIPOC authors; books that grapple with racial issues, LGBTQ+ issues, and all social issues
  • Deeper spirituality and prayer books
  • Books about animal conservation, animal sanctuaries, and animals that help people
  • Feminism and women's issues
  • Memoirs about any of the above — must be well-written and the author should have a platform.
  • Family life — interested in really unique and/or extraordinary takes on parenting and family, whether it's memoir or self-help

To me, it looks like the standard "wish list" I've been seeing with most other agents, with some "spirituality" stuff thrown in.

If you are a Christian traditionalist, it reads to me, "need not apply."

And yeah, the other two make me leery.

• Like 2