What is your biggest writing struggle?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At the moment, my biggest writing struggle is .... writing. I have the story in my head; I want to write, but I don't. I'm not sure what is holding me back. Maybe it is motivation, maybe something els

I'm gonna suspect that, since it's so easy for most of us to read, we presume somehow that writing can't be that much harder. Yet we never see the struggles that the writer of our favorite books may h

LOL--I believe you mean grammar!😀

Consistency. Finding time to write between pastoring, teaching and home life. I know it's a oft-used idiom, but there never seems to be enough hours in the day.

Even if I carve out some time at the end of the day, my brain usually just wants to decompress, not get into creative mode...

On 1/10/2021 at 1:22 PM, JosiAtara said:

Making decisions! I'm currently struggling to decide just when a character gets rescued... Or if she actually gets rescued... Or maybe she escapes... But when? And I have other plot points to take into consideration with each option.

Oh the possibilities 😁

Edited by RockyMtn Gal

One of my major hang-ups is wording. I think I'm being clever sometimes, until someone tells me they didn't get it.

A consequence of having my nose in much older books.

I have many "back to the drawing board" moments.

Good thing I like drawing.

Edited by RockyMtn Gal
On 1/11/2021 at 8:00 PM, suspensewriter said:

My biggest struggle in writing is aphasia, hands down.

I can't imagine.

You've spoken of having episodes before. How often do they happen (generally and if you don't mind me asking)?

Edited by RockyMtn Gal
14 minutes ago, RockyMtn Gal said:

One of my major hang-ups is wording. I think I'm being clever sometimes, until someone tells me they didn't get it.

That’s funny! I also vastly prefer reading older books, but I don’t even attempt to write the way they do. It’s considerably above my pay grade...

• Haha 1
On 1/21/2021 at 12:03 AM, Sarah Daffy said:

Procrastination, writers' block, procrastination...

🙆‍♀️ definitely a struggle... have you tried free writing? If you haven't heard of it, It's where you set yourself a time (10, 15 mins, etc.) and you just write for the duration of time. Just concentrating on getting the words out and not whether it makes sense, errors, etc. you're just getting it out on the page. And you can write about anything from the clock on the wall, to the gloomy weather outside, or even a scene you had in mind 😁. It might help with both.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Joshua Benefiel said:

Consistency. Finding time to write between pastoring, teaching and home life. I know it's a oft-used idiom, but there never seems to be enough hours in the day.

Even if I carve out some time at the end of the day, my brain usually just wants to decompress, not get into creative mode...

Stuck between a rock and a hard place. 😖 

I don't envy the life of a pastor. A little writing here and there is better than nothing at all though... it'll add up in the end.

I'm the total opposite... I want to sleep but story ideas and their treatments keep popping into my mind. My brain starts mentally writing it and I have to keep jotting stuff down so that I don't forget. Why couldn't I just get them during the day? 🥴

• Like 1
8 hours ago, RockyMtn Gal said:

😄 I really like the way you worded this. Very funny. Reminds me of the Fancy Nancy books where she plops a big word in there like splendid only to explain that it's a fancy word for very good

4 hours ago, Kazaza said:

I'm the total opposite... I want to sleep but story ideas and their treatments keep popping into my mind. My brain starts mentally writing it and I have to keep jotting stuff down so that I don't forget. Why couldn't I just get them during the day? 🥴

Awww, @Kazaza, I think a lot of us would trade places with you in a heartbeat... 😀

See, to a lot of us, creative ideas are like wild truffles, extremely precious, growing out of sight, and which we have to search far and wide to unearth, when we can find them at all. To you, they're a box of mushrooms that just keep on growing in a corner of your basement. 

You may not be able to keep them out in a convenient place, but they're there, and they're plentiful. That's goodness!!!

🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄

• Like 1

My biggest struggle is probably hard-to-swallow sentences (choppy or not as clear at first glance). Character development used to be a problem for me, not so much anymore since I try my best to place myself in their shoes.

Plot development is the same. No problemo thanks to inspiration.

But, I am eager to learn as I go. Occasionally, I do struggle with the infamous writer's block. Well, it happens to the best of us, right?

Oh, another thing that I find difficult is killing off characters.😢

I don't take that so lightly, especially if I have worked with that character for a long time. Can anyone relate?

Edited by Madyson Rylee

I'm surprised it's hard to find a critique partner for your genre. Of recent I've been a little confused over the whole genre category list. From my understanding YA is the age group whereas genre would be thriller, romance, and the like 🤷‍♀️... If someone could clarify that would be great.

Anyhow, there's a critique section on this site that you could post to, if you haven't yet come across it. I'm sure you'll get critiques.

What exactly do you write about? I have a feeling I like YA contemporary. I'm still trying to work out where my novel fits, though it's aimed at YA.

23 hours ago, Madyson Rylee said:

My biggest struggle is probably hard-to-swallow sentences (choppy or not as clear at first glance). Character development used to be a problem for me, not so much anymore since I try my best to place myself in their shoes.

Plot development is the same. No problemo thanks to inspiration.

But, I am eager to learn as I go. Occasionally, I do struggle with the infamous writer's block. Well, it happens to the best of us, right?

Oh, another thing that I find difficult is killing off characters.😢

I don't take that so lightly, especially if I have worked with that character for a long time. Can anyone relate?

I can't relate, sorry, as I don't write in the genre where I have to kill-off characters. 😖 

Just wanted to comment regarding the sentences struggle. I've found that critiquing other stories (especially in your genre) helps with writing your own as you can see what works and doesn't work, causing you to reflect on your own and how you could improve it. But best of all, you're eager to learn as you go, so will master it just like you did character and plot development. 👍

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Kazaza said:

I'm surprised it's hard to find a critique partner for your genre. Of recent I've been a little confused over the whole genre category list. From my understanding YA is the age group whereas genre would be thriller, romance, and the like 🤷‍♀️... If someone could clarify that would be great.

Anyhow, there's a critique section on this site that you could post to, if you haven't yet come across it. I'm sure you'll get critiques.

haha, a critique partner and a critique section aren't equivalent. Critique partners have a relationship that follows the principle of equivalent exchange. (Full metal alchemist reference) In other words, we would each critique each other's manuscript and suggest revisions.

And yes, YA is the age range of the intended audience. There is also Middle Grade (MG), Adult, and New Adult (NA)

My actual genre is Literary Fiction that takes place in the contemporary real world, as opposed to historical fiction or fantasy.

9 hours ago, kiwigummy said:

by the way, I think you would look cool with a profile picture 😉

Haha, maybe so...

9 hours ago, kiwigummy said:

haha, a critique partner and a critique section aren't equivalent. Critique partners have a relationship that follows the principle of equivalent exchange. (Full metal alchemist reference) In other words, we would each critique each other's manuscript and suggest revisions.

Haha... I'm aware of that... I was just thinking in the meantime since you're having a hard time finding someone, but I get it. How long have you been writing? And, how many novels do you have under your belt?

My biggest challenge is turning off the idea spigot. I've got over 30 book projects nestled in happy little computer files; some in first draft; some in revision; a few completed but awaiting a production schedule.

Now that I've started also writing books with my husband and pastor, though, those guys have not learned how to turn their own idea spigots off and not direct them at me. (Hey, Carol, we should write a book about...) Aaargh! 

Of writing books, there is no end (Ecclesiastes 12:12).

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Kazaza said:

OK. Which do you like writing more or find easiest, short stories or novels? And, have you had any of your short stories published?

I self-published my short stories on smashwords. https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/Kiwigummy

Short stories are way easier. You ever read Jhumpa Lahiri or Haruki Murakami? Their stories are the bomb diggity.

3 hours ago, Carol Peterson said:

My biggest challenge is turning off the idea spigot. I've got over 30 book projects nestled in happy little computer files; some in first draft; some in revision; a few completed but awaiting a production schedule.

Sounds good! You'll always have something to work on... @Wes Bdescribes it as goodness! 😉👍

3 hours ago, Carol Peterson said:

Now that I've started also writing books with my husband and pastor, though, those guys have not learned how to turn their own idea spigots off and not direct them at me. (Hey, Carol, we should write a book about...) Aaargh! 

😁 they probably just figure give it to the mastermind. 

• Like 2