What is your biggest writing struggle?

If you've read the Why do you write? post you'll know my biggest writing struggle is how I can make sure God gets the glory through my writing. 

So, what is your biggest writing struggle? And, how are you overcoming it?

• Like 4

At the moment, my biggest writing struggle is .... writing. I have the story in my head; I want to write, but I don't. I'm not sure what is holding me back. Maybe it is motivation, maybe something else, I'm not sure, but it's just not happening.

The thing is, I know I can write and that I can write a compelling story, so I don't think it's that. But it might be the writing process itself, which is what I find hard because of my visual disabilities. Whatever it is, I guess it is something I'll have to continue pushing through in order to write my book.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Researching things that are pretty hidden and finding that my resources disappear from the net all the time. Thankfully my copy of Working With Sex Offenders is a book and can't disappear.  I have to admit, I'm surprised by some of the things that are hard to find.  Like the stuff about pedophilia, yeah, people are going to be uncomfortable about talking about that online but the stuff on Christianity I often find odd just how hard it is to find answers.  I can find the answers to simple questions easily enough but the second it gets more complex than 'who is Jesus' then suddenly the answers get weird.  I see a lot that are argued unconvincingly with little sources, especially when it comes to sex ethics.  Part of the problem is that it's weirdly okay in Christian culture to quote scripture out of context.  I would even say that people come across as allergic to context.

My other issue is spelling.  I'm dyslexic and it really effected my confidence and working through that is such a pain.  I even find my grammar quite weak and grammar doesn't wiggle in my mind.

• Like 5

@Amosathar I totally understand.

I get very frustrated with the fact that no matter how hard I try to clean up my work, the English will still not be error free because I am dyslexic. I can't always see the mistake. Pro write aid helps to catch alot and to straighten out my sentences with its 'sticky sentence'  tool.

The other thing I struggle with is sometimes during the process of writing a piece I have the feeling that it is rubbish.  I have learnt that this just a phase. Part of my writing process. But it can be debilitating. I am going through it now and just have to push through it. 

• Like 4

@quackingpenguin I'd be happy to chat with you about anything you're doing research on. You are right in that people have little understanding of context of scripture. This is partially because they lack the understanding that the original texts didn't have chapters and verses and should be read as a whole letter or book to understand context of the author and/or society and cultural context.

I have some theories that you might find interesting.

• Like 4

Writing.  Like, I have so many ideas.  I'm bursting at the seams and dying to write.  But, when I try to sit down and write, it sucks.  Well, maybe it doesn't.  But I feel like it does and I think my problem is me.  I'm just too rough on myself, which makes my writing difficult.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, AJCat29 said:

I'm bursting at the seams and dying to write.  But, when I try to sit down and write, it sucks. 

LOL Don't sit down! However, that's not totally a joke. Stand up. Take notes. Jot down thoughts. Then sit down and flesh it out. Just a thought. 😉

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Amosathar said:

At the moment, my biggest writing struggle is .... writing. I have the story in my head; I want to write, but I don't. I'm not sure what is holding me back. Maybe it is motivation, maybe something else, I'm not sure, but it's just not happening.

+1

My tried-and-true ritual has been disrupted by lockdowns and holidays.  Add to that the frustration and depression of querying, and it makes for a heavy burden to carry for my desire to write.

• Like 4

Making decisions! I'm currently struggling to decide just when a character gets rescued... Or if she actually gets rescued... Or maybe she escapes... But when? And I have other plot points to take into consideration with each option.

My brain just kind of doesn't stop.

• Like 3

I'm gonna suspect that, since it's so easy for most of us to read, we presume somehow that writing can't be that much harder. Yet we never see the struggles that the writer of our favorite books may have gone through to get things just right.

An old-time carpenter would have first chopped down a tree, then sawed it into boards, then cured them, then planed them smooth, then cut them to shape, then fitted them together and added carvings. Then he'd sand and apply finish, and only then would there be a fine piece of furniture.

We may get impatient. We chop down a tree and expect to see a beautiful dresser there on the ground. We're disappointed to see only a log. It's okay; we're on the right track. We just need to persevere and see it through. We'll get there.

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, ThePerilousPen said:

info dumps!

I'm trying not to say too much, but my characters have sooooo much backstory, oof. Hm. Am I overcoming it? I'd like to think so buuuut well idrk. sort of? eh not really. thanks heavens I have a coach or I'd be dead *whew*

LUCKYYYY I wish I had a coach like you.

• Like 2

My biggest problem now happens to be total writers block.  I haven't been able to come up with anything new in more than two years.

Before this started I spent more than ten years posting fan fiction, original fiction short stories, novellas and full length novels, along with non-fiction articles.  Posting them on several writers websites.  I even had a few published.  Now, my ability to continue doing so has vanished.

All I'm able to write is brief messages like this.

I ask for everyone's prayers that the Lord will restore my writing abilities, and that all I write from now on, will give full Glory to the Lord.

In Jesus Name.  Amen.  

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Amosathar said:

The thing is, I know I can write and that I can write a compelling story, so I don't think it's that. But it might be the writing process itself, which is what I find hard because of my visual disabilities. Whatever it is, I guess it is something I'll have to continue pushing through in order to write my book.

Okay. When you have written in the past, what was it that motivated you to do so?

• Like 2

My biggest challenge: saying what I mean. Or maybe I should say, conveying what I want to say in a way people understand. This isn’t just limited to writing; it’s been a lifelong struggle. 

• Like 3
14 hours ago, quackingpenguin said:

Researching things that are pretty hidden and finding that my resources disappear from the net all the time. Thankfully my copy of Working With Sex Offenders is a book and can't disappear.  I have to admit, I'm surprised by some of the things that are hard to find.  Like the stuff about pedophilia, yeah, people are going to be uncomfortable about talking about that online but the stuff on Christianity I often find odd just how hard it is to find answers.  I can find the answers to simple questions easily enough but the second it gets more complex than 'who is Jesus' then suddenly the answers get weird.  I see a lot that are argued unconvincingly with little sources, especially when it comes to sex ethics.  Part of the problem is that it's weirdly okay in Christian culture to quote scripture out of context.  I would even say that people come across as allergic to context.

My other issue is spelling.  I'm dyslexic and it really effected my confidence and working through that is such a pain.  I even find my grammar quite weak and grammar doesn't wiggle in my mind.

🤔 Interesting. I suspect it's because it's both a taboo and sensitive subject, so most would rather rug sweep or completely ignore the issue, as though it will go away on its own. I'm glad to see you're tackling the subject head on, though 👍.

I hear you on the dyslexia. I know a few people that are dyslexic. The good thing is that on this writing journey we have alpha, beta readers, etc. that will help us get our work into ship shape. 

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, Zee said:

My biggest challenge: saying what I mean. Or maybe I should say, conveying what I want to say in a way people understand. This isn’t just limited to writing; it’s been a lifelong struggle. 

If clear communicating in general is a problem, have you ever considered Toastmasters? I've been a member for 20 years, and can't tell you how helpful it's been. Not only do you learn to express yourself, you get almost instant feedback from a supportive audience! Because your speech is timed, you learn to write concisely. If you let the group know what your particular goals are, they'll even tailor their evaluations to suit that.

It's a a group where everyone is learning, just as you are, so some evaluators will be more experienced than others, but that works both ways, when you start evaluating others. Check out different local clubs if you have the option, because they can be very different from each other.

One weird side effect... when I dash off a quick bit of writing like a post here, my words are definitely written with thought to how they'd sound if I spoke them. I'll frequently use ellipses, which would mark a speaking pause. I also use lots of parentheses, which mark a shift in tone. I'll edit most of them out in my "real" writing, but in quick responses, I naturally think audibly.

• Like 3