The Green Test For Dropping The F-Bomb

I find it interesting to refer to "the Muslim God" as opposed to "the Christian God." They are one and the same, as is the Jewish God. Islam developed from the descendants of Ishmael and refers to both Ishmael and Isaac in its scriptures. So they are the same God. In my opinion, the problem is not the God, but the understanding of that God. And Christians are not immune from violence. The Salem witch trials were defending Christianity from the devil.

• Like 1
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

According to a friend, arguing requires a lot of thought. Swearing requires none at all.    

I'm sorry but I highly disagree. Kids do learn them at home even when they are small. If you've never heard or read the comments of others especially about political arguments, you've never heard/seen

One great thing about old movies (or old music, or old anything, I guess...)   In any given year, the creative "stuff" produced will contain a lot that's just poorly done, plenty that's medi

41 minutes ago, quackingpenguin said:

@ZeeI would rather not.  Mostly because I feel like I'm not speaking from a place of that much knowledge.

Ok, I can respect that. Definitely wise not to hold forth on something you know little about.

My knowledge is that there are plenty of nice muslims out there.  How am I to judge a god when people will quote sources that have no English translation?  How can I judge a god that has so many political sides in the presentation of distorting the view and encouraging people to make stuff up about? 

This is certainly not unique to Islam. I think you’ll find this is the case with Christianity, Judaism, and any religion...”religion” in this sense, is a human institution, after all.

I could learn Arabic yes, but it seems like a bit much for a faith that I'm only passably interested in.

Totally understand your sentiments, but sadly I wish there was far more interest in the mainstream Christian community—not in learning Arabic, necessarily, but in understanding Islamic thought and culture. We don’t understand how key this is to sharing the gospel.

It’s actually a major soapbox of mine, and I could go on and on and on...but this isn’t Hyde Park, so I will politely step down now.

My ignorant view has shown me reason to dislike this god.  However, I won't sit here and pretend that even if every negative thing that I've heard about Islam and it's god is true (which I do doubt tbh since some of the negatives are insanely negative), that that means that all muslims are evil.  The muslims who are decent are too decent for me to give them anything but respect.  Sure if some of the worst things are true, then they are good despite being muslim, but that doesn't undo that they are kind people.

My only reason for bringing anything to do with this up in the first place was better expressed by others pointing out that it's only the Christian gods who get brought up as swear words.  

Muslims swear by God all the time...but the general cultural overtone/context is often a little different, I agree.

Now part of that is that religions like Shintoism and Hinduism have different ideas about their gods, but still, it is notable.

10 minutes ago, William D'Andrea said:

What I've read is that the Moslem word for God, is the Arab word "Alah", which translated into English is "God".

That’s true. However, this has certainly been a major point of controversy in the past, and may still be.

25 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

I find it interesting to refer to "the Muslim God" as opposed to "the Christian God." They are one and the same, as is the Jewish God. Islam developed from the descendants of Ishmael and refers to both Ishmael and Isaac in its scriptures. So they are the same God. In my opinion, the problem is not the God, but the understanding of that God. And Christians are not immune from violence. The Salem witch trials were defending Christianity from the devil.

Well put.

6 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

Wasn't Allah originally a moon god?

Yes, Al El or Al La was originally the title of the pagan Arabs’ main god, who was associated with the moon, I believe. When Scriptures were translated into Arabic (pre-Islam) the people used this name, which is actually more of a title, for the word “God.” It has been used that way ever since in both Christian and Muslim Arabic writing.

• Like 1

Non-Arabic speaking Muslims, (who are in fact the majority) use different words for God in everyday speech and informal prayer, but since they pray the formal prayers in Arabic, they use the word Allah for God in those ritual prayers. 

Arabic speaking Christians use Allah for God, but interestingly refer to Jesus as “Yesuah” (close to the Hebrew Yeshuah) rather than “Isa” as He is referred to in the Quran.

1 minute ago, suspensewriter said:

Wait--Christian writers used the term Allah to refer to God?

Yes, that’s the words Christian Arabs have used for God, every since, I don’t know...the 2nd chapter of Acts, I guess. Certainly ever since Arabic Bibles have been printed.

• Like 1

However, (as an interesting side note) Christian Arabs seem to tend to avoid the plethora of God-related expletives and expressions...I swear to God, God give you strength, God is great, God is my witness, etc. that Muslim Arabs use. I think this is due to a desire to not swear/take God’s name in vain, or use it cheaply.

This conversation is very interesting to me because my brother is a Christian and he's into hip hop. When he's writing songs, he'll insert the F- bomb. Words to him are  sounds and He feels God made words for use. Those are his words, not mine. 

I wasn't sure what to make of his view on curses. However, as I write my book, I see what some of you mean in conveying authenticity within the book. I personally wouldn't put curse words in my book as mine is geared towards young adults but for an adult based book I don't know... Relating to my audience is important to me. I'm not saying I'm one way or the other but I see both sides have good points.

• Like 1

I agree the use of profanity/vulgarity etc. shows a lack of vocabulary, laziness, lack of creativity, etc. HOWEVER, I find highly unlikely all realistic characters in contemporary settings would adhere to that moral standard.

To an extent, a writer may simply inform the the reader that: Frank cussed. Or more creative: Frank went out of the room swearing to the tune of habitual fornications. Or: Jim let out a slew of blasphemies that would have brought the roof down on his head should he have been in church.  I personally cannot keep that up as a writer or reader for very long.  Here and there that is fine; in a story about Marines or construction workers it would go from creativity to drudgery very quickly. 

I actually agree with the authenticity argument. That said, I have thus far chosen not to write a story that lends itself to being a lie to the audience in that sense.  If 'you' do that is between you and God (whether Jehovah that has a son or Allah who makes a point to tell us he does NOT have a son) to justify blessings and cursings out of the same pen. All I (each reader) can do is vote with time and dollars whether to read another author's work.  'Ah, there is the rub' for a 'Christian' author venturing in to the indu$try.

There is a time and place, I conceded, but God has convicted me thus far against it. 

Edited by J. R. Arkwi