Using Bible verses in fantasy fiction

Hi Everyone,

I just joined the Christian Writers Forum and this club. I'm so excited to be in the company of Christian fantasy writers. I'm working on my first novel, and I came to a place where Isaiah 60:3 was so appropriate for my character's experience of the God character in the story. Do you think it's wrong to use it there (slightly adjusted to fit the story), saying that it was from the scriptures of my made up religion, which is very much based on Christianity? Thanks.

• Like 1

I'm curious--in what sense is your made-up religion based on Christianity? Is it a sort of offshoot of Christianity, like say Islam or Mormonism, (i.e., lots of the same concepts, moral standards, a similar view of God, etc, but with some serious fundamental differences) or is it meant to be a fictional stand-in for Christianity, almost as if you were writing an allegory--or something else entirely?

I don't write fiction, but for me, I wouldn't make up a religion and try to use Scripture. Just seems wrong to me. Maybe something with a similar thought.

I hope you will hop over to Meet and Greet and introduce yourself so everyone will know you are here and can welcome you. 😃

• Like 1

I think it really depends on the story you're going to write.

I avoid quoting Scripture directly, unless you have a character that is from our world, or world experience (it feels odd typing it that way).

I'd rather do what Jesus did, and speak in parables.  Jesus reached people by illustrating the Word of God, not reciting it chapter and verse (though he did quite a bit of that too).  Jesus explained complicated or confusing concepts through parables too.  it is a highly effective means of explaining something that is, in a way, disarming.  Because it is a story, and not a chapter-and-verse recitation.

Your mileage may vary.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.