The hottest trend in 2020 was...

From Alex Newton, the K-lytics Study reports guy.

Before this crazy year ends, I would like to send you my best wishes and the news about our latest genre report that epitomizes the year 2020.

NEW GENRE REPORT: Post-Apocalyptic & Dystopian Fiction 2020 Edition

What?! - Yes, it feels more than strange to research such a topic these days.

Let's be frank: This year was probably not the best for post-apocalyptic fiction. Sales ranks have declined in the genre.

The irony is that the virus/disease topic was not only the highest-selling trope before the whole Covid turmoil started; it is still the most popular theme in the genre right now. As if we did not get enough of it in real life this year.

Whatever the case may be, the only way is up! I am therefore happy to announce our new 2020 Post-Apocalyptic & Dystopian Fiction Market Report.

http://k-lytics.com/post-apocalyptic-dystopian

• Like 1

I am not uneducated, but I finally looked up that "dystopia" word. The definition that stood out the most was the opposite of "utopia." That I understand. That is where we are. And why anyone would want to read that genre, let alone spend the time to write it, is beyond me. One of the benefits of writing fiction (IMHO) is that we get to make the ending the way we want it to be. This is not the ending I would write for us.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

I am not uneducated, but I finally looked up that "dystopia" word.

The very first Sci-Fi novel I read back in the 70s was a dystopic novel by a female author, Andre Norton. It's a well-established trope where Mankind looks at the future and sees the effects of our failings. While this resonates with me as a Christian, I don't often find it entertaining as a reader, but I am well familiar with the trope.

image.png.97ec687cc42c1ce0713db226b75c5f17.png
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24739716-daybreak-2250-ad

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Johne said:

Let's be frank: This year was probably not the best for post-apocalyptic fiction. Sales ranks have declined in the genre.

My post-apocalyptic novel centers around a flu pandemic. Not surprised that sales didn't take off this year.