I've Been Trying out Software Programs for Writing

Like I've tried the OneStopforWriters.com, approach, Dramatica Pro, the Novel Factory, and Contour for writing novels.  Basically, you have to know your complete story from beginning to end to use these tools, so if I know the story from beginning to end, why not just write it?  (Not really, it just feels that way)  The problem is, I'm a pantser (as opposed to a plotter) and this approach gives me a headache!  But, a funny thing has happened--I'm beginning to like writing this way, but I'm impatient to get writing.

Do any of you have this problem?

• Like 2

I'm finding with my current book that I'm a mixture of both, I know a general overall idea of where the book is going. Some events for the characters, how they intersect and some conflicts to come. I let the story write itself as I go and as I get further along more events show up or more connections become clearer and maybe a new idea or plot point pops into view. 

I was using Microsoft Word to write, but I switched to Scrivener as it seems much easier to organise my ideas 

I also find the website and free Chrome extension ProWritingAid helpful

• Like 1
On 12/13/2020 at 2:06 PM, suspensewriter said:

The problem is, I'm a pantser (as opposed to a plotter) and this approach gives me a headache!  But, a funny thing has happened--I'm beginning to like writing this way, but I'm impatient to get writing.

I've been a lifelong Pantser, however, in the last couple of years I've become a student of The Story Grid system for structuring novels and have embraced the idea of story structure to some degree. I now consider myself a Plantser, a discovery writer who appreciates the basic structure underneath all stories.

As you know, I write in Scrivener so I can drag-and-drop scenes anywhere in the work. I'm toying with other tools while outlining. First, I limit my outline to the Five Commandments of story:

• Inciting Incident
  • Turning Point
  • Crisis Question
  • Climax
  • Resolution

I'm learning to begin with the crisis question as everything in the scene flows from there. I'm using Notion to craft my outlines and use that base to write the scene in Scrivener.
image.png.9412baa80021133e1a5b3787d6dce441.png

image.thumb.png.5ccaa041c9724ba1c8a00f85d77512e5.png

• Like 1