3 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

Well, it's easy enough to use, that's for sure, and I'm sure that you will handle it just fine.  By the way, have you ever given any thought to traditional publishing?

Yes, I've done some research on both traditional and self-publishing. Looked at getting an agent too. Just not sure what the best option for me at this point is. You've worked in publishing and gone that route with your writing, right? Is that what you would recommend for a first-timer?

I've published independently both with Amazon KDP and several other platforms. I'm very pro-self-publishing, but it takes a lot of work. I recommend that you read this book, Let's Get Digital: How To Self-Publish, And Why You Should, by David Gaughran. It's free right now and contains an excellent overview of what you need to know about self-publishing.

8 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

I think you have a good chance of bein published traditionally.  I'd get an agent and try that route first. 

While I think one should investigate all publishing avenues, most authors have reported (over the past few years) that the traditional publishing route is a difficult road. Not discouraging anyone from trying, but I think expectations need to be realistic.

8 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

The thing is once you've self-published, you can't reverse course.

Simply not true. It may make it tougher going traditional (but not impossible), but there are a number of "hybrid" publishing options these days that are much more open to those who have self-published - particularly if you've had some success. 

• Like 1