Do You Ever. . .

. . .use brand names when writing?

It seems more direct, specific, and vivid: she grabbed a cold drink vs. she grabbed a soda vs. she grabbed a Mountain Dew. As long as there is a reason for using the brand. . . and it is not portrayed inaccurately or in an unfavorable light.

I just finished writing a short story mentioning things like Chanel, Gucci, Birkenstocks. . .is this ok? And to reference very specific places (i.e. Mar-A-Lago)?

Edited by Sophie
  • Like 1
  • Sophie changed the title to Do You Ever. . .
1 hour ago, suspensewriter said:

Sure, it's okay, as long as you are careful and don't make any brand misrepresentations.

Agreed.

Saying he grabbed a Mountain Dew should be okay. Even adding that he preferred a Mountain Dew should be okay, too. But having someone make a remark that "Mountain Dew will eat your stomach out" is not a good idea.

Overall, I would generally advise not using brand names unless there's a specific reason (story-wise) to do so. Always the sure way to stay out of trouble.

For example, if you have a character struggling to overcome a nefarious boss, and you stated earlier that this character works for General Electric, then that would be bad. And if you said this character worked for Disney, then their lawyers will be knocking at your door two seconds after you hit the "publish" button on Amazon. 😄

Edited by Accord64
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Accord64 said:

Overall, I would generally advise not using brand names unless there's a specific reason (story-wise) to do so. Always the sure way to stay out of trouble.

Yes, this is what I thought.  Thanks!

2 hours ago, Accord64 said:

remark that "Mountain Dew will eat your stomach out" is not a good idea.

😯

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Sophie said:

I just finished writing a short story mentioning things like Chanel, Gucci, Birkenstocks. . .is this ok? And to reference very specific places (i.e. Mar-A-Lago)

😆 It took me several minitues to even know what these were! 😆 You can tell who looks for function around here. 

So, out of curiosity, why not say designer bag, soft drink, or carbonated beverage? They all mean the same, give off the same vibe, and save the worry about name brands. I'm not saying you have to; I'm just asking. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Alley said:

Chanel, Gucci, Birkenstocks

We just saw an TV ad for Chanel 5 and discussed that it has been around a long time. Birkenstocks are shoes, I think. Gucci? Is that pronounced Goochi? Then at least I have heard of it. Alley, I think you and I belong to the same non-club.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Alley said:

😆 It took me several minitues to even know what these were! 😆 You can tell who looks for function around here. 

So, out of curiosity, why not say designer bag, soft drink, or carbonated beverage? They all mean the same, give off the same vibe, and save the worry about name brands. I'm not saying you have to; I'm just asking. 

That's ok. @Alley, maybe because I'm stubborn and I like the way it reads? 😁 Ok, to be honest, it's necessary to the story--it's how the character would say it, as this is written in first person. 

There's four brief mentions. Is it alright if I quote them here ( @lynnmosher ) in context?  Or if anyone has time to read the story, I just posted it in critique.  

The party at Mar-A-Lago. Another party at Mar-A-Lago—the one with the celebrities from exotic international films. Remember?

I unfold my white mock Gucci sunglasses from the “Ecstasy” perfume commercial.

Risky. People will recognize those.

I wear sneakers now, but why did I patronize heels in the first place, when I could have been wearing, like, Birkenstocks?

Because famous people start trends. Famous people have got to do a lot more than you think. Birkenstocks were already made trendy by a granola, so I started a new one with bubblegum pink heels. Because I’m short, and in the movies, they wanted me tall. So, if you want to be trendy and tall, you wear bubblegum pink heels like your favorite celebrity. 

I open my purse and pull out an ancient orange scrunchy from a cloud of Chanel perfume. My mom put it in there from my first play when I was fifteen and Davin’s never let me leave the house without it since. 

Oh. . .and I forgot this one:

. . When his arms go up, it’s a wall of Old Spice and mahogany. His beard is so curly, it looks like an octopus. You could hide a lot of things in there for a safari. 

I just really got into those brands, didn't I? 😑

Ok, so now I just found I also mentioned Instagram. 😬  

😟😳🥺😨😠

😎

Edited by Sophie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

But curly like an octopus? I don't exactly see an octopus as curly. 😆

Lol it needs some work. 

10 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

I don't see any problem. 

Ok thanks. Then maybe I can just leave them all...

• Like 1
Just now, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

@Sarah Daffy I've heard of it, but I've never researched it. I have naturally curly hair. 🙂 Mine's weird though; it's a mixture of frizzy, kinky curls and then straight-up curls. In the back of my head, I have some softer curls than the rest of most of my hair.

You should try it. it's definitely helped my hair!

• Like 1