Since I was little, I had mini movies playing in my head.

It was where I went to explore ideas and do things I never could in real life. I could orchestrate far off planets and the politics behind them. I could choreograph beautiful figure skating routines. I could skateboard a half pipe without the agony of breaking bones. I could explore vast libraries for days on end without anyone to tell me it's time to go. I could meet people with the most interesting backstories to tell.

I could do this all without the need of money, strength, skill, or influence. 

In my heart, I believe it is one of the greatest gifts (the ability to create mini-worlds to explore) that God has given to humanity. The greatest gift being Christ.

• Like 3
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've got a "Why I Write" story today.    A guy I have been ministering to in prison ministry the last few years got out today, and he doesn't have any family so I picked him up and took him

It's those characters. They rattle around between my ears, getting chased up trees by bears, trees that get cut down and burned. Bears with sharp teeth too.  They don't let up until I write it do

I never thought of writing until about 8 years ago.  When I was a child in second grade though we had a writing homework assignment.  I came up with a country story.  My teacher was very impressed.  N

I've got a "Why I Write" story today. 

A guy I have been ministering to in prison ministry the last few years got out today, and he doesn't have any family so I picked him up and took him to his halfway house. I had given a few copies of my first book to the chaplain last year, and today the guy who got released told me that it is being passed around and read by a lot of the inmates and is really having an impact with them. When we got to the halfway house I left a few copies there, and the formerly incarcerated man managing the desk said he had read it. 

That was all very validating. That's why I write - to impact people for Christ. 

• Like 7
On 12/3/2020 at 9:48 AM, E.T. Newman said:

Since I was little, I had mini movies playing in my head.

It was where I went to explore ideas and do things I never could in real life. I could orchestrate far off planets and the politics behind them. I could choreograph beautiful figure skating routines. I could skateboard a half pipe without the agony of breaking bones. I could explore vast libraries for days on end without anyone to tell me it's time to go. I could meet people with the most interesting backstories to tell.

I could do this all without the need of money, strength, skill, or influence. 

In my heart, I believe it is one of the greatest gifts (the ability to create mini-worlds to explore) that God has given to humanity. The greatest gift being Christ.

Wonderful to hear you share your passion!

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Chris Brown said:

I've got a "Why I Write" story today. 

A guy I have been ministering to in prison ministry the last few years got out today, and he doesn't have any family so I picked him up and took him to his halfway house. I had given a few copies of my first book to the chaplain last year, and today the guy who got released told me that it is being passed around and read by a lot of the inmates and is really having an impact with them. When we got to the halfway house I left a few copies there, and the formerly incarcerated man managing the desk said he had read it. 

That was all very validating. That's why I write - to impact people for Christ. 

Amen, it is wonderful to see how God can use your writing!

I never thought of writing until about 8 years ago.  When I was a child in second grade though we had a writing homework assignment.  I came up with a country story.  My teacher was very impressed.  Nothing ever came up again until 8 years ago.  God started putting into my heart.  He opened the doors for me to start a blog.  He gave me the idea first.  Then all the doors open.  I started seeing that I had a gift.  I would get feedback about my writing.  I also want the Lord to use it.  I like to pray that for each writing that the Lord allows it to touch at least one person's heart.  If all I did was write for one person than it has meaning! 

Love this discussion suspense writer!

• Like 4

One reason I write is because the world is filled with people who are hurting, and with dire needs. Sometimes our writing can help, even when it reaches one person at a time.

What I'm about to say is probably not part of most people's calling and that's fine, but I'll toss it out as an idea, just in case. There's a huge subgroup on Reddit.com, called r/Christianity. By huge, I mean hundreds of thousands of members. It's not exactly a Christian group, but a group about Christianity. As far as discussions go, it's The Wild West, with people squabbling over petty points, atheists stirring the pot, and... lots of very sad people with real needs. Some are absolutely heartbreaking.

This last group often doesn't get a lot of responses to their queries, and among what they get will include a lot of very strict and legalistic commands, by people who think they'll "fix" people, merely by quoting a scripture at them. (I mean... scripture is really important, but it can have a negative effect when used as a bludgeon...)

Anyway, there's a huge need there, for empathetic Christians (writing skills helpful but not essential...) who can encourage these people, point them to God's love, and above all, to pray for some of them. I try to answer those that I can, and I'll regularly get very thankful responses from some of them, but there are just way, way too many.

If you're not progressing much in your current project, get a Reddit account, go in there, and find someone to "talk" to. You'll maybe find an additional reason as to why you write, and you'll help some real person who's really hurting. Reddit is anonymous, so you won't get acclaim, and there are no royalties or bragging rights. But if, as Jesus said, even a cup of water given in His name will be rewarded, we can see how important it is for us to help & encourage one another. If you think you might be able to help out there, I'd urge you to see what you can do. 

There's no need to worry about what to say to some of these problems; there are so, so many that you can pick and choose the ones you can answer, and leave the rest for someone else. Far too many of them get no real encouragement at all. If you go in there, you'll eventually recognize me by my alias, but it may take a while, because the group is so huge, there are so many posts, and there's just no way to reach out to more than a fraction.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, suspensewriter said:

Reddit, huh?   To be honest, I never even thought of them, but you make a good point.

It's a great place to put your writing skills to good use, and help people too.  Be warned though that r/Christianity is nowhere nearly as polite as this forum. However...

Anyone can start a Reddit community, and it wouldn't be hard to start a Christian Writer's community there. That wouldn't be to compete with this one, but to draw in a lot of others who don't know of our Happy Little Group, here. I'm not sure if anyone would be interested, or if this one is enough, but it's doable. A sort of Christian Writers community has existed there in the past, but the owner was so restrictive as to what could be posted (no writer's chatter, like this stuff, for example...) that there was almost never any post made, and when there was, no one replied: probably because people had so little reason to go there that they didn't know a new post had been made.

Guest John146WTL

I write because I think it might be my destiny in life, based on my life situation. I wish to do my part in helping to liberate people from cults & mind control. Also, no one wants to hire me for employment. 

54 minutes ago, John146WTL said:

Also, no one wants to hire me for employment. 

All right, that's funny!

54 minutes ago, John146WTL said:

I write because I think it might be my destiny in life, based on my life situation. I wish to do my part in helping to liberate people from cults & mind control.

But that's exciting stuff!  Good luck on your writing journey!

• 4 weeks later...

This is a really great post with some really thought-provoking answers. 

I write because I must. God has given me this talent and no matter what temporarily takes precedence in my life I always come back to it... now, my struggle is, how do I make sure He gets the glory in it? 🤔

• Like 1

Great question!

I write because . . . 

I absolutely love doing it

I believe it’s what God has called me to do

I hope and pray that maybe others will be influenced in some way because of my writing.

—and I keep writing because of those same reasons! 🙂 

• Like 3