Today, a TV news trailer read as, “US Rhodes Scholar chosen virtually for the first time”.    It’s getting out there when the meaning of an adverb is gotten by context., even if there isn’t a whole lot of head scratching.   So, yeah, upon further review, “virtually” here (really) means “via a web conference”and not “truly, without precedent”.    

Actually, there are four definitions of "virtual" in the dictionary:

Definition of virtual (Merriam Webster)

1: being such in essence or effect though not formally recognized or admitted
a virtual dictator

2: being on or simulated on a computer or computer network
print or virtual books
a virtual keyboard
: such as
a: occurring or existing primarily online
virtual shopping
b: of, relating to, or existing within a virtual reality
a virtual tour

3: of, relating to, or using virtual memory.

4: of, relating to, or being a hypothetical particle whose existence is inferred from indirect evidence
virtual photons

As with any word with multiple definitions, context is critical.

Edited by Accord64
  • Like 2

I despise anything virtual with meetings, it is very much a human-less thing that we have all become so complacent to accept.  Just like the election, they expect us to be complacent and believe what they say actually happened in spite of fraud.  Virtual things allow for evil to slip in and make things unattached from human emotion, interaction and the like.  
Can I raise livestock virtually and actually feed the world?  I think not.  Computers; they warned us about years ago, that they would take over our lives and sadly, I am addicted to this beast due to my business and needing to keep up a virtual presence online.  I have made a lot of money with my business but word-of-mouth has made me more money.  I want to stay in the real world and forget about the virtual world..... HMMM look, there is a real book to read, I can take it up into the timber and sit under my favorite tree and read.  No internet connection needed!  Thank the Lord!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Barnyardmare said:

I want to stay in the real world and forget about the virtual world..... HMMM look, there is a real book to read, I can take it up into the timber and sit under my favorite tree and read.  No internet connection needed!  Thank the Lord!

I wonder if ever I'll open the cover of that real book, and on the first page, read, "Please be Patient... Installing Updates..."

When that happens, i suppose I'll be about to wake up...