Is there money in blogging?

Money from blogging can come from one of a few different sources, there may be more than just these 4.

• If the blog uses a paid subscription to access extra content
  • Advertising - being paid to show Ads on your blog or for users to click on Ads

• Sponsored - where you read an advertisement during a video blog  - "This vlog is brought to you by.."

• Patreon subscribers who just want to support your blog

Any of these takes a lot of work to either get it working or producing enough quality material to make it viable

Edited by Amosathar

I have a political opinion blog that I am starting to get quite a following and I was wanting to do a basic animal husbandry blog to  help those getting into small farm animals so they can understand what is and isn't normal behavior, how to give vaccinations and trim feet as well as information on birthing and breeding.

• Like 1

There are a number of people who go the Patreon route.  People pay for regular content on various subjects.  There are several placed out there that work on a paid subscriber basis.  One I've mentioned (Patreon), I think another is called "locals."  And I believe there a vblog capabilities in YouTube as well.

10 hours ago, Barnyardmare said:

I have a political opinion blog that I am starting to get quite a following and I was wanting to do a basic animal husbandry blog to  help those getting into small farm animals so they can understand what is and isn't normal behavior, how to give vaccinations and trim feet as well as information on birthing and breeding.

That wouldn’t be me, but I can imagine my a lot of people would find that kind of info very useful and would be happy to pay for it. People like my sister, for example...

11 hours ago, Barnyardmare said:

I was wanting to do a basic animal husbandry blog

As someone who has a few acres and more than a few critters on them, I often look for information on the internet about horses, chickens, sheep, and cats. Let us know what and when you do.

Why does "what you do" feel complete, but not "when you do"?

I think people would pay for something fairly specific and niche like Animal Husbandry.  Especially if you have some expertise on the subject.

Politics?  There are a gabazillion sites devoted to politics.  Without a specific following, you'd just be lost amongst the noise.  I'm not saying you shouldn't write a political blog, just that I don't think you'd be able to effectively charge people for your insights.

I have looked into getting paid for youtube as I have a youtube channel.  You have to have consist videos and i think over a hundred thousand clicks.  You have to run for awhile and then petition youtube to add you as someone who will get paid.  I have not reached the mark yet..so not sure how it happens when you do.  THere are a lot of youtube videos explaining it though.

I know farmers who market their products through a website and blog on that site to attract customers. I follow the blog, but I don't have much use for goat cheese from Massachusetts or "My Ox Team Won at the [insert fair name here]" t-shirts. POD products do generate revenue and I'm working on some for my science education site.

5 hours ago, Barnyardmare said:

I don't know what to do as I need a winter income and things are looking grim.  I have a large following with my Barnyard Weed Warriors..com page that is my business page.  I was considering selling t-shirts and the like but that sales tax thing is a big hang up.

Well maybe consider using patreon, a lot of people use that service and find that people who were already following them may be willing to help support them financially because they appreciate the info you produce. Patreon usually requires different levels of commitment which you give different rewards based on the monthly amount of the commitment. So for instance maybe people who are on the $5 a month level get a personal email from you or the $10 a month get a personalized t-shirt. It may just be something to look into for at least a little income per month