Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I feel like someone's asked about this topic before, but I seriously can't remember what was said. So...any suggestions/recommendations for romance stories you've enjoyed where the main characters were already married? Or has anybody written a story like this they'd be willing to share?

 

The first three books in my series were about how the couples got together, the next three will continue their adventures in married life, but I don't think I've ever read a romance where the hero and heroine were married.

 

(I've told myself I'm not allowed to start writing my next book until the New Year, but that doesn't mean I can't plan...and look over other peoples' great ideas...)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 Yes, but I can't remember the name. It was about a man and his wife (this was set probably in the 1800s) struggling to keep their ranch alive, and the man went somewhere and ended up getting attacked and left for dead. His wife thought that he had died and had to cope with the grief, and when he had returned to the town, she never realized it was him. Many, many chapters later, they were finally able to reunite and had their very first child. I just remember that the cover had a woman sadly yet mysteriously gazing down in a field of wheat in a navy blue dress, and there was a guy dressed in brown with a red shirt under it and a black hat in the background.

I can try looking for it in my church's collection of Christian fiction next week, if you'd like.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ky_GirlatHeart, my cousin read a book with a similar setup - I don't think it was the same one. I remember her telling me about it and it seemed somewhat different - it involved traveling to Oregon or some such thing. And I think the woman remarried (!!) because she didn't know her husband was alive - it had been years.

 

Maybe a lot of books about married couples have them split up and thinking the other is dead, at least for part of the book?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There are probably some out there, but the only examples I remember are Fireproof by Alex Kendrick and Dusters and Dreams by Hannah Buckland. Fireproof is a marriage-in-trouble story which follows the broad pattern of the "second chance romance" trope.

 

Dusters and Dreams is a sequel to The Vicar's Daughter, which is where the couple first met and fell in love. Dusters and Dreams follows them as they struggle with childlessness and other issues, but they're not the only main characters in the story. It doesn't follow the typical romance pattern but it's a very well-written book. It's one of the stories I've enjoyed reading the most this year, head and shoulders above most historical fiction books I've come across. I get the feeling that it was hard to market, though, because it doesn't fit easily into a box.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Zee said:

(I've told myself I'm not allowed to start writing my next book until the New Year, but that doesn't mean I can't plan...and look over other peoples' great ideas...)

 

That's a long time but sounds a good plan.  You have written 3 books in quite a short time so a good break will be good and bring you back fresh to write the others.

 

I think it is a really interesting idea to write about couples instead of the boy-meets-girl thing. James Becker has a divorce couple working together but that isn't what you need.  There is of course the Twilight sage but I can't see that being your thing (and I think you can do way better & dare I mention the 50 shades rubbish?? (OK I peeked at one and put it down very quickly.)

Look forward to reading the postings in the New Year.

Edited by Shamrock
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, EBraten said:

Dusters and Dreams is a sequel to The Vicar's Daughter, which is where the couple first met and fell in love. Dusters and Dreams follows them as they struggle with childlessness and other issues, but they're not the only main characters in the story. It doesn't follow the typical romance pattern but it's a very well-written book. It's one of the stories I've enjoyed reading the most this year, head and shoulders above most historical fiction books I've come across. I get the feeling that it was hard to market, though, because it doesn't fit easily into a box.

 

This sounds like the kind of thing I’m going for—I don’t just want to have adventure stories that happens to feature married couples. Not to say there won’t be adventures, but I want the main focus/challenge/goal to still be the relationship, just like in a typical romance, if that makes sense.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I'm not a fan of romance (as you know), but one of my all-time favorite movies is Shall We Dance? What I absolutely love about it is the fact that the husband and wife, who have been living past each other with the busy-ness of life, fall back in-love (if that's even a thing). It shows me, as a young single, that even when the fires of passion burn low in a marriage, with dedication and effort they can be rekindled. It shows me that fighting for the relationship is beautiful.

 

And I love the dancing in the movie, which is an added bonus ...

 

P.S. It isn't a Christian movie, so there is swearing in it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

@PenName I think it was called Rekindled, or at least the one I'm talking about.

I can't remember if the woman in that one got remarried or not. Because she had spent her days at a brothel since she had nowhere else to go, people thought she had had sex with random people and thus gotten pregnant from them. In reality, it was her and her real husband's baby!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never written a story about that type where the MC's are married. But I do sprinkle my Street Justice novel with couples that are married. I think it's a good thing to show that the marriage is a good place for romance and I might write one like that but so far the Lord has not given me one. But it never fails when I mention the Lord has never given me this or that here it comes. 

Said I'd never written a sci fi. Then came Spate Station it's not published yet. 

Said I'd never written a fantasy and then out came Sweet Prince whish is a story about a man that God turned into a turtle to teach him a lesson. Fairy tale at first talking critters and all then moved to a straight romance for the ending. 

So I'm just waiting now LOL

Good luck!

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I had forgotten about Jude & Cora Cater in my Sphinx trilogy.  Although after book 1 they become 2ndry characters their relationship is  a key feature throughout the series.

 

Someday I might write a 4th book with the original ending I post ages again,  where Cora dies and meets Jude in heaven. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jacks girl said:

I've never written a story about that type where the MC's are married. But I do sprinkle my Street Justice novel with couples that are married. I think it's a good thing to show that the marriage is a good place for romance and I might write one like that but so far the Lord has not given me one. But it never fails when I mention the Lord has never given me this or that here it comes. 

Said I'd never written a sci fi. Then came Spate Station it's not published yet. 

Said I'd never written a fantasy and then out came Sweet Prince whish is a story about a man that God turned into a turtle to teach him a lesson. Fairy tale at first talking critters and all then moved to a straight romance for the ending. 

So I'm just waiting now LOL

Good luck!

 

 

Funny--when I first joined this forum I really wanted to write Sci Fi and I've been writing romance ever since. Do you have any books that are published?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2020 at 9:39 AM, Zee said:

 

Funny--when I first joined this forum I really wanted to write Sci Fi and I've been writing romance ever since. Do you have any books that are published?

Yes thanks for asking I moved the image to another post and got rid of the one with all the writing lol

 

 

 

Edited by jacks girl
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I love "he fell in love with his wife" stories! They're my favorite romance subgenre. The Scarlet Pimpernel is a classic in this line, and Cupid and Psyche is one of the oldest stories ever.

I've also loved the Amelia Peabody Egyptian mysteries because most of them are after they get married. 

The Princess by Lori Wick is one of the few modern Christian romances I've reread because they aren't *too* good as they struggle to trust and love each other. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Celebrianne said:

The Scarlet Pimpernel

Just popping back in to say that the Scarlet Pimpernel miniseries (spliced together to be a movie) with Anthony Andrews, Jane Seymour, and Ian McKellen is FIRE (to use a millennial expression). 
 

I didn’t think of it, but @Celebrianneis right - The leads actually do spend a big chunk of the story married ... and uh ... it’s very complicated to explain without spoilers.

 

I’m not as familiar with the books, but I believe there’s a similar through-line in them. 

Edited by PenName
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2020 at 8:37 AM, Zee said:

Wow, @jacks girl, that’s an impressive lineup! Need any reviews?

 

Sure I'm always out for more reviews. I run my books free a lot esp around holidays !!

And thank you I make all my own covers and do a lot of covers for other authors. It's took me a long time to get these books out but I'm hoping to publish one more this year. 

 

Edited by jacks girl
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2020 at 11:31 AM, carolinamtne said:

One way to post just what you want in a poster is to use the Snipping Tool in Windows or the equivalent on Mac (Shift+Command+4). You outline what you want and then you can post that.

You know I did just that and then got busy and uploaded the wrong image LOL!! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here it is I fixed it and put the one I made up instead lol!! Sorry if it showed up twice I tried to hide it. Not sure if it was me or the site but I couldn't get it to post the image and then of course I see it posted it twice lol 

 

If anyone wants a free book let me know and I'll try to remember to post when I have any of them free next week new image.JPG

Edited by jacks girl
added text
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jacks girl said:

Here it is I fixed it and put the one I made up instead lol!! Sorry if it showed up twice I tried to hide it. Not sure if it was me or the site but I couldn't get it to post the image and then of course I see it posted it twice lol 

 

If anyone wants a free book let me know and I'll try to remember to post when I have any of them free next week new image.JPG

 

Sure! I can give reviews on Goodreads and Kobo, but not Amazon, unfortunately. So let me know...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2020 at 5:29 PM, Zee said:

any suggestions/recommendations for romance stories you've enjoyed where the main characters were already married?

 

Late to this party, but I was wondering something. What does marriage have to do with romance?

 

run2.gif.8461f42c05c5a79a0a06b94548dfe5f7.gif

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Accord64 said:

 

Late to this party, but I was wondering something. What does marriage have to do with romance?

 

run2.gif.8461f42c05c5a79a0a06b94548dfe5f7.gif

 

 

 

Nothing, necessarily...however, the two often come together. In the romance genre (as you probably know) the driving force of the story is relationship--problems, conflicts, development, etc. So I'm planning for romance stories where the main characters are already married, which is somewhat atypical, hence my fishing for ideas or examples.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.