My computer crashed a few hours ago, and my dad was able to fix it by God's grace. He got a new system up and running, which gives my computer a much clearer screen than before, and stuff runs faster.

However, all of my documents--school related or writing related--have all been deleted. And there's no way to get them back unfortunately..

So we'll be starting at square one! Yay!

• Sad 1
11 minutes ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

or writing related--have all been deleted. And there's no way to get them back unfortunately..

One good way to ensure your writing doesn't get lost is to email it to yourself daily.

4 hours ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

However, all of my documents--school related or writing related--have all been deleted. And there's no way to get them back unfortunately..

You have some of your writing on this site too... Maybe that could help?

@HK1 Yes, I was able to recover the three chapters I had for Lauren and Whitney. The other one for Victoria and the one for Adelaide I probably won't need as of the current moment, but I'll maybe get Victoria's prologue.

I forwarded my first original chapter for Adelaide to the person I was writing it for, and they still have the draft; they'll send it to me.

@zx1ninja Wow, you most certainly know how to lighten the mood!! 🤣🤣

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

Yes, I was able to recover the three chapters I had for Lauren and Whitney. The other one for Victoria and the one for Adelaide I probably won't need as of the current moment, but I'll maybe get Victoria's prologue.

That's great! :DYou might want to get whatever parts of your writing you want from the critique forum. I don't think it stays around forever.

• Like 1

I use a OneDrive. It's free for 5 GB (Plenty of space for all my documents), and you can access it on any computer! You can sign up for free by typing in OneDrive, New Account. Also, I'm sure there are plenty of YouTube video tutorials out there about it. I almost lost all of my stuff before and was absolutely devastated (school stuff and writing too). This was a great discovery for me, and hopefully it can help you too.

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

My computer crashed a few hours ago, and my dad was able to fix it by God's grace. He got a new system up and running, which gives my computer a much clearer screen than before, and stuff runs faster.

How many files did you lose?

there are also other cloud options like google drive or dropbox. 

There is a misconception that if the computer is formatted and windows is reinstalled that you have lost all your files, but the truth is that every file still exists on the previous partition, you simply can't see it. You would need data recovery software that can scan damaged or deleted partitions and then save the files you find onto a portable drive or USB thumb drive. As you save new information on the formatted drive it will overwrite data that was on the previous partition. The windows files will most likely overwrite the previous installation, but most of your personal files should be untouched. Nothing is really deleted from a hard drive unless you put it through a process where it writes 0's to every sector on the hard drive in several passes

I do data recovery and my father formatted a 1 TB drive and I recovered 900 GB of it the other 100 GB were files but were corrupted

• Thanks 1

Sorry to hear of your troubles. it happens unfortunately to all at sometime.

The advice given is all good. I find  a USB drive plugged in to my pc to  copy daily work to and then upload to onedrive or google docs once a week helps.

Then if your USB gets corrupted or the pc crashes you still have the drive to download your work once sorted.

Surprised your school doesn't have a dedicated server to store work.

Hope you get thing sorted. 

• Thanks 1