Ok, a submission question.

First and foremost, I really hope I'm not jinxing myself by asking this question. 😀

Some agents say, "If after X days, if we don't contact you, consider it a pass."  

There are agents that say, "We will get back with you in X to Y weeks.  If not, contact us."  And then there are some that don't say anything at all.

So after some discussing my current situation with friends, the inevitable question was asked: when they mention "days," is it "business days," - which is 5 days in a week - or the standard number of days?

I'm thinking it's just the normal seven days in a week.  This is especially true when I consider the fact that I just recently had a rejection come in at 9:30-ish PM, on a Sunday.

Wow. I had one I sent in on Sunday afternoon rejected by 1pm Monday. How on earth do they assess your work that quickly?

In answer to your question about weeks. I take it from the day I submit the work. So if it is a Monday or Saturday I count how many weeks  on to that same day and note in my spreadsheet.

Hmmm...good question. You email notification probably came as a result of the agent working at home. I've never thought about the day count before. My best guess would be working days. However, if they count in weeks, then that speaks for itself. :rolleyes:

53 minutes ago, Shamrock said:

Wow. I had one I sent in on Sunday afternoon rejected by 1pm Monday. How on earth do they assess your work that quickly?

I had a couple of those,  One was only the first 10 pages of my book, which I could see someone looking at a query, and the sample chapter, and making a decision.

Another was a full manuscript submission.  And there is no way they blew through that, or even part of that in less than 8 hours.  So they read they cover letter and just rejected it out-of-hand.

I believe I saw one agent (she was being fun and familiar in her directions) literally write "count out 60 days on the calendar and mark it ...")

My guess then is that agents use calendar days and not working days, generally.

On 10/30/2020 at 10:33 AM, Jeff Potts said:

I'm thinking it's just the normal seven days in a week.  This is especially true when I consider the fact that I just recently had a rejection come in at 9:30-ish PM, on a Sunday.

I once had a journal article rejection come in on Christmas Day. I was thinking I wrote the thing and I wouldn't want to spend my Christmas reading it!

5 hours ago, PenName said:

I believe I saw one agent (she was being fun and familiar in her directions) literally write "count out 60 days on the calendar and mark it ...")

My guess then is that agents use calendar days and not working days, generally.

That's what I've sort of thought all along.

And I think I know the agent you're referring to.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

I think that's meant as more off a guideline, Jeff.  Give them an extra week or so.  Don't be in such a rush.  It will take time.

On the advice of my wife, I am.

I'm not real good at this whole, "patience" thing.

• Like 1
On 10/30/2020 at 10:33 AM, Jeff Potts said:

Some agents say, "If after X days, if we don't contact you, consider it a pass."  

There are agents that say, "We will get back with you in X to Y weeks.  If not, contact us."  And then there are some that don't say anything at all.

I wouldn't overthink it—days are days, weeks are week. If they say '21 days,' I'd parse that as three weeks.