Book covers in color or black and white?

I've never seen a black and white cover yet..

It depends on the story, I suppose. For a sober, heartfelt sort of story, the cover might be darker colors with a touch of lighter ones. That's kind of the case with the book Things Left Unsaid by Courtney Walsh. There's three women standing on the beach with a sunset of darkness and orange surrounding them.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Accord64 said:

I can't recall see any in black & white, but I found this article that might give you some ideas.

Malorie Blackman's original  'Nougats & Crosses' book cover was black and white.

It worked really well.  The newer edition is similar but has red in it too.

• Like 1

I personally love black & white, so those covers were super-cool. However, I do have to say I'd be hard-pressed to guess what genre most of them belonged to. Seemed a lot of non-fiction or memoirs, with perhaps a few experimental fiction...

Maybe you can throw together a couple of designs and share. Then we'd have a better idea of what you have in mind.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Accord64 said:

I found this article that might give you some ideas.

The newspaper one was fitting, as was the crumpled paper for Violence. But, as Zee wrote, it's hard to tell their genre. Which may or may not be bad. People might have to look at the back cover, and this might be a way to get them to do that.

• Like 1

Well, clearly I need to provide more context. 

Considering publishing What if Tumbleweeds could talk. About an alien bent on vengeance crash landing on earth in the late 1890's. Needs help in the way of physical labor getting the material to repair the ship to go back and accomplish his goal. All told third person by, yup, a Tumbleweed. There have been parts of it here.

Still needs some work, but am considering a cover. 

Though I would normally push color. I was thinking sepia for the cover invisioned as a person standing on a hill with Tumbleweeds rolling past looking down into a small western town with the church as the most prominent building. 

Not color, but not Black and White either. 

Sometime back someone sent me a newspaper clipping with a picture showing railroad men (probably engineer and conductor) standing in the middle of the tumbleweeds that had literally stopped their train. Probably wouldn't work for 1890, as people would recognize the locomotive as much more modern.

• Like 1

Possibly not, and that's just the idea I have in the seldom used part of the grey matter between the ears. 

If I can get something cool, it MIGHT work to get readers interested from westerns to at least read the back cover. Then I just need a killer blurb. 🥴 More grey matter needed. Not sure I've enough for this, but I think I'm going to try.

I internet searched (Duck Duck Go) "pictures tumbleweeds" and found some possibilities. Problem is that most of them are attached to newspaper articles or their backgrounds are obviously not in your time frame.

Possibility: https://trib.com/news/local/casper/answergirl/answer-girl-tumbleweed-damages-fences-unlikely-to-increase-fire-danger/article_d8204c5b-dec0-5ec4-ab63-030e13ccfa00.html

https://weather.com/news/weather/video/tumbleweeds-blown-around-in-albuquerque-new-mexico

https://www.publicdomainpictures.net/en/view-image.php?image=109132&picture=roadside-tumbleweeds

https://stock.adobe.com/91994906?tduid=eb0611efcd8177b962b7560faf603eea&as_channel=affiliate&as_campclass=redirect&as_source=arvato

And there are some cute pictures of what people have done with tumbleweeds, like making a Christmas tree or a snowman or whatever.

• Thanks 1