Thinking of publishing your book here?

I only need one reason. 

Never pay for something you can do for free.

This applies to all vanity presses (even though Bookbaby identifies as a "Self-publishing service.")

1725806956_Rolleyes.gif.a5abce4e525e5ae011942c603b9fef06.gif

Edited by Accord64
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

When i self published my YA novel, Natural Talent, I set up my own company.  It was easy to do and meant I had complete control over production and marketing. The down side was that I had to have my accounts audited which was an expense and marketing was hard to do.

But is an option.

I closed it down a few years ago and transferred all publishing rights to myself simply by sending a letter from the company to myself. (it is legal to do so.) That I have safely tucked away if ever I need it.

• Like 1

I've published mine through Draft2Digital. The process is incredibly simple, the end result is high-quality (for ebooks, haven't seen the paper version of my books yet.) Also, there are no upfront costs, but they do take 10% of royalties from books you do sell. Well worth it, in my opinion.

• Like 2

5. You have to give them your bank account info. in order to get paid, or pay them $1.50 for each check they mail to you.

I understand why this could be a concern, but every time I write a check, it has that information on it. 

Now the fact that there is a period after "info" instead of a comma ...

Edited by carolinamtne
4 hours ago, Diamond Books said:

Who do you guys publish your books with? Who would you recommend?

As I'm an "indie" (self-published), there are a couple of options. 

1. You can publish eBooks through an aggregator like Smashwords or Draft2digital. They take your eBook and distribute it to various retailers (like Apple, Amazon, etc.). There is no out of pocket cost, but they will take 10% of the royalties for each sale. This option saves you the hassle of opening accounts with each retailer, as well as consolidating sales reports. They also give you an ISBN, which some retailers require, for free. However, the ISBN is in their name, so they will be the publisher of record. But this does not give them any claim to your copyright.

2. You can open accounts with each retailer, which costs nothing. This will allow you to keep all the royalties for yourself, and you will be the publisher of record. In most cases, this allows you to participate in any promotional opportunities that retailers offer, which you can't do through an aggregator. For instance, Kobo offers a variety of promotions, but they are not available to those who didn't publish directly through them.

Which one did I use?

I use a combination of 1&2. I have direct accounts with Amazon, B&N, Google Play, & Kobo. I also have an account with Smashwords, but opted out of distribution to those specific retailers. But I'm still distributed to a number of other outlets that I can't directly access (like Apple Books, Library Direct, Scribid, etc.). This way I get the widest distribution possible without losing out on promotion opportunities.

For print books, I use Amazon (Kindle). They are a free POD service that not only distributes beside my eBooks on Amazon, but they also have an expanded distribution option to make you book available to theoretically any bookstore. There are other POD services, like Ingram Spark, but they have fees attached that Amazon doesn't charge.  

Edited by Accord64
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 10/27/2020 at 4:08 PM, lynnmosher said:

9 Reasons Not to Use BookBaby to Publish Your Book.

I attended a webinar today from ProWritingAid. Then I pulled up my dusty copy of PWA and used it on one of my short stories. Somewhere in there was a promotion for BookBaby to publish your book.

I've been following a bunch of indie comic book artists.  Their model is generally to crowd fund production through outlets like Kickstarter.  However, a few of them have been handling hardcover / softcover printing via Ingram Spark.

I found this on https://justpublishingadvice.com/new-authors-beware-of-scam-agents-and-publishing-sharks/. It's down low in the comments.

Milton G.

TCK Publishing is a scum-scam company run by scam artist Tom Corson-knowles that should be at the top of every writer’s “BEWARE” list. TCK Publishing takes your books then just publishes them for you through Amazon KDP–something any writer can already do for free on their own–then leaves everything else up to you while they sit back and take a huge cut of all your book’s profits. They used to charge their authors publishing fees as well as charge them “hidden” fees if their books didn’t sell well and also charged their writers to gain their books’ rights back, but they have recently stop this foul practice because of so much bad feedback and talk about them on internet forums from those they scammed. TCK Publishing preys on ignorant authors. BEWARE TCK PUBLISHING!!!

I didn't find anything on Writer Beware.

Check this on Reddit: TCK Publishing? : writing - reddit

It sounds like they've changed their MO, from charging fees to taking 50%. That could be good or bad. 50% is an incentive for them to do something. But it depends, as mentioned in the comments here, on what the contract says.

Or is this some competition trying to degrade them? How does one know?

Edited by carolinamtne