I know writing isn't an interactive sport normally, but I so badly want to DO something with other writers. Like, games, activities... some people nearby are doing NaNoWriMo and I'm not participating this year since I'm focusing on editing my novel, but I really miss the write-ins and fun things they plan. One of them mentioned a Twitch marathon--not sure what they would do on it, but I've seen a couple Twitch channels where the people are writing a story and let the viewers make suggestions and such, and I thought maybe I could set up a twitch account--and then I remember that I'm actually super shy when it comes to my writing, and that is a very public place, but does anyone have any ideas on some fun interactive things to do with other writers?

Maybe some challenges that we can suggest like, "incorporate a storm in the next scene" or we each get to tell each other what the weather forecast is for another person's story. "The last thing you ate is what your character is going to eat next" or even give a brief description of our characters and someone has to use them as a cameo in their story... Is anyone down for stuff like this?

Also, someone had asked if there was a Discord channel for this forum, is that something people would be interested in joining and actually participating in if I were to try and set it up? (I've never set up my own, but is it all that hard?)

• Like 1

"Channel" may be the wrong term, I think the technical terms are "server" or "chat." Discord.com is a website that can be very organized. Like forums, but quicker to see what all there is and to scroll through the different spots. Here's a screenshot of something my husband had tried to set up once, we could add and delete channels (on the left side where it says "text channels") as necessary, and you just go in and type what you need in each section, like different forum section. We can set it up to have an invite to be able to join, so that it stays private to the group.

discord.PNG

• Like 1

I don't know if it was just me, but I asked about a Discord server. It is a more interactive version of a forum, so instead of making posts, you can have more of a live chat going on. You can also have voice channels so if you wanted to have a conversation on a mic with 2 or more people, it's an easy way to communicate or have a discussion over voice chat without having to have a direct personal connection to your computer like zoom or skype. I used to do YouTube videos and Twitch streaming so I have a personal one set up for myself.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

Writing is kind of a private thing, Josie.  It kind of defeats the purpose to have a group thing, don't you think?

I'm kind of confused by this comment. We have a group thing here, don't we? It's not intended to write with a bunch of people while talking over a mic, but there would be some challenges to work on in your own time and return by a certain day/time to share either how many words you managed to do in a set time, or what you ended up doing with a writing prompt, etc. (Some could be over mic if people wanted to schedule something for that, because there are writers who enjoy working with the atmosphere of other writers doing the same thing, with a little bit of chatting--but typing was my main intention, not microphone).

Have you heard of NaNoWriMo?

10 hours ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

@JosiAtara Ah, I see. I'm not entirely sure now; I'll need to pray about it. I don't think that I'd like the option of communicating with others with a mic.

Hey, praying about it is always a great start! But just fyi, the mic isn't necessary. It's only for those who choose to do it. I've been part of 3 Discord servers and never participated in a voice chat. It's completely optional, as you would have to deliberately go into the channel that has that (or call/accept a call from a buddy), enable it to access your mic or not, mute yourself, mute others that you don't want to hear, etc. It's super personalizable for your comfort.

But again, I understand if some people don't want to, I was just looking to see if anyone did. It also doesn't have to be over Discord, I just was hoping for something organizable that won't get lost in other threads (I'm open to suggestions).

Edited by JosiAtara
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, JosiAtara said:

I'm kind of confused by this comment. We have a group thing here, don't we?

I think that the lack of immediacy is what makes this different, and honestly, what could you do with an interactive channel that you can't do here?

I love the idea of group writing as a prompting tool.

Did any of you have the opportunity in school to do group writing?

Each person begins a story and then writes for a certain amount of time, then everyone passes their story to the right and continues writing on the new story they've just received- I always loved having to jump into a prompt in the middle, in a story that I didn't begin and see how well I could put my mark on the story that I didn't conceive, while still staying true to the original writer's intent.

Always did wonders to jump start creativity and give me an inspiration boost.

@JosiAtara, just quickly skimming your posts/ideas sounds like you're looking for writing prompt type of things (please correct me if I'm wrong). There are places and people that do that (reedsy does one every week, I'm following someone on Instagram that's also doing that). As for the more interactive side, I think @Rebecca is setting up a site that's focusing on that (Rebecca, please correct me if I'm wrong on that). 

And having said all that, I'd be interested in joining a Discord server. Managing the time zone differences could be interesting, but I'm keen!

I also do like some of your prompt ideas, and that could be a good promotional tool and a nice way of just flexing writing muscles. 

• Like 1

Well my interests in a discord server was to be able to have a discussion with other people over things I might be struggling with in regards to writing and related matters. Yes I can post on this forum, but the time frame of waiting for a response means I lose my train of thought and not just that, the conversation might takes days or even a week. I'm sure most people probably have friends they talk to about such things, but unfortunately I've never been that lucky in the friends department.