I used to change the oil in my car and the all the filters.  Now I have to pay someone to do it, even the air filter as you need a tool to get at the one bolt holding it down. My cabin filter needed changing I had to call my neighbor to open the glove box as you have to squeeze the box hard to get it down far enough to access it.  Last night driving home from work my engine light came on and the traction light.  I thought the bearings, nope I later noticed the temp gauge was at 0 so I turned on the heat and no heat came from the vents.  Then heat did come from the vents when I slowed down and the gauge went all the way to the top.  Then it went back to 0 again and no heat. This leads me to think it is the thermostat a $20 part.  But to change it the splash shield under the car and the front bumper have to be taken off.  They do it on purpose to make you go to a garage or dealership for service.

4 hours ago, yawarakai said:

They do it on purpose to make you go to a garage or dealership for service.

I totally agree. I have had more than my fair share of this kind of experience too.  This past summer I replace my ac evaporator in my suburban.

Normally you take the dash all apart, but I decided to cut it out through the glove box to replace it. I sealed it up with water proof tape. I know how it sounds put it worked! Shop wanted around 1800, I sent around 150.00 for the part and Freon.

I hope it is not your heater core, that can be a bear to replace.

10 hours ago, zx1ninja said:

YOU NEED COOLANT!!!! Then find the leak. 

The only reason a temp guage will do that is if there's nothing to measure. 

Well it is either the radiator or the water pump.  I had a guy working on it today while I was at work.

On 10/23/2020 at 11:40 AM, yawarakai said:

This leads me to think it is the thermostat a $20 part.  But to change it the splash shield under the car and the front bumper have to be taken off.  They do it on purpose to make you go to a garage or dealership for service.

That doesn't sound right, what kind of vehicle?

And yes, engineers and designers make enough money 💰 they don't have to work on their own cars, so they don't care how hard or not it is to work on. 

7 hours ago, zx1ninja said:

And the verdict is????

Radiator.  I just had a flush and fill done 3 months ago because there was gunk blocking the system and that must have been blocking the leaks also.  My car is 10 years old and this is the 5th thing I have had to have fixed.  The mechanic is going to put in the air filter also while he is working on it since I can't reach one of the bolts that hold the top on.