So, when my next book comes out, I'll be exactly halfway through my series. Each couple has gotten their introduction--now I need to finish working out the second half of each of their stories before saying goodbye for good. That's a little intimidating, to be honest. I'm thinking of taking a break for a little while to try my hand at a non-fiction project that family members have been asking me to create. I might share a little of that here, too, to see if it proves to be of more general interest.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Zee said:

I'm thinking of taking a break for a little while to try my hand at a non-fiction project that family members have been asking me to create.

I bounce back and forth between fiction and nonfiction. When I am struggling through a novel, I recall fondly how easy it is to write nonfiction. When I am bogged down in unending research for a nonfiction book, I reminisce over how easy and liberating it is to write fiction.

• Like 1

Don't forget Zee that you can write short stories related to your series and post them on your website; offer them for free to folks to garner interest in your series.

Paul--I write fiction/nonfiction, too. One reason I always have 6-8 projects running at the same time is so I can alternate between them and never quite get to the point of being tired with any of them! 

1 hour ago, suspensewriter said:

No, Zee, I would recommend taking a break from it all together.  With all respect to Carol, you need to get totally away from it.  Take a deep breath, and come back to it with new beginnings.

That's what I'm planning to do. Three down, three to go seems a logical place to take a break.

• Like 2

Ha! Sorry for the miscommunication. I was responding to your bit Zee, about "saying goodbye for good" to your series. I meant that at the point when the series is completed, you can still write short stories about the characters or side plots. So it may not be "for good."

I agree--take time away from your series if you are feeling bogged down. There is no rush to get books out unless you have a contractual deadline. Writing something completely different in the meantime can keep you productive while refreshing your mind.

• Like 3