Have any of you written a study guide as a companion to your non-fiction book? I feel moved to put one together for Testimonies of Grace but I'm having trouble figuring out where to start. I've got a stack of borrowed study guides on my desk but I'm just not seeing anything I want to emulate. Thoughts? Suggestions? Recommendations?

I don't think I've ever seen a study guide for this type of book. I guess you'd have to ask yourself a lot of questions for each chapter/testimony. Is it worth going indepth? What do you wish to accomplish, draw out of others or instill in others?

Chris, I found this. It's for a novel but I thought it might give you some ideas.

Creating a study guide for your novel

You will create a online study guide for one of the following books:

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

You will do the rough draft of your study guide in your folder or class book. The final study guide will be completed on the computer. You may create an actual book using ‘word’ or ‘publisher’ or you may create on online study guide using moodle, mahara or pbworks. Each study guide will be uploaded onto our class website: englishwithamos@pbworks.com

The completed study guide is due:

I have given you tasks to complete for each. This will ensure you have all the information needed for Level One NCEA questions. There are several links and resources on the class website to help with your study guide preparation. Feel free to add pretty pictures and/or useful links!! Your study guide will need to cover the following sections.

1) Author Biography

Write a brief biography for the author of the novel. You might like to include information about their writing style and some info about the period in which they were writing.

2) Character

a)      After reading the book, choose five words you would use to describe the main protagonist. Give a specific example and quote from the novel to support each word.

·         ………………… e.g.

·         ………………… e.g.

·         ………………… e.g.

·         ………………… e.g.

·         ………………… e.g

b)   Describe the relationship that the main protagonist has with one other character (or with society)

Find a quote/example that supports this.

3) Themes

·         Friendship                                                            

·         Death       

·         Loneliness

·         American Dream 

·         Appearances vs. Reality

a)      Select two themes. You may select from the list above or come up with your own. Write your own definition for each one and describe 2-3 events from the novel (with quotes) that illustrate each theme.

b)      Explain how the character helps to convey the two themes you have chosen. Give specific examples from the text to support your answer.

4) Setting

a) Describe where and when the novel is set. Explain the impact this had on the characters and events in the novel.

b) Select two physical settings (places). Describe them (with quotes)

5) Important Event

a)      Describe what you believe to be the most important event in the text. Find two to three quotes that refer to the event.

b)      What does the event show the reader about:

·         Each character involved

·         The themes in the novel

·         The setting (time and place)

6) Beginning and Ending

a)  Describe what happens at the beginning and at the end of the novel. Include a quote from each.

c)      What are the links between the beginning and ending? E.g. characters, setting…

7) 1.3 Essay Exemplar

You will write an exemplar essay using one of the following questions. I will give you a grade for this!!

1.      Describe the setting, and the effect it had on the text.

2.      Describe the main climax, and explain how this was/was not a surprise for you.

3.      Describe a character you felt strongly about, and explain what made you feel this way.

4.      Describe an important decision, and explain why it was important

Suggested Essay Structure

P1 –     Introduction. State the title and author. Outline your main points using key words from the question.

P2 –     Answering first part of the question, using the words from the question in your topic sentence.

P3 -     Answering the second part of the question, using the words form the question in your topic sentence. Make one point with 2-3 quotes to support.

P4 -     Answering the second part of the question, using the words form the question in your topic sentence. Make a second point with 2-3 quotes to support.

P5 –     Restate your main points

Thank you Lynn!

The book is actually set up with material and resources at the end of each testimony that progress from basic salvation to engaging with spiritual gifts, so it lends itself to a study as it is. What I want to create is a resource for people to use in a small group if they want to - a workbook of sorts. I also want to use it as a freebie to attract new readers and maybe help me build my own list, which I have so far hesitated to do despite the entire world telling me I should.