How to have a soft launch and boost sales

Thanks Lynn for the article. I've always found in self-publishing, the hardest part was getting your "friends" to review your books. I always find it hard to ask and since most my friends are not writers, I'm not always happy with the quality of their reviews.

I found a site called Pubby that is a group of writers that review each others books. It costs money to be a member although you can get a trial membership. The way it works is that you can earn points by reviewing books that interest you and then you can spend these points to get your books reviewed.

I have generated over twenty reviews for my latest book "Loving God". Though, not all the reviews were 5 stars, even the less than perfect rated reviews were well written. In the past I had to sweat blood to get ten reviews; now, I can get them through Pubby in just a couple of weeks.

https://pubby.co/?invite=5688

You can even earn points by referring others!

Generate book reviews. Before you announce your book to the world, ask a few early readers to post reviews. However, be careful with this strategy because Amazon doesn’t like to see a flurry of reviews at once and may ban some users if this happens. It is best to ask friends one-by-one. And while anyone can post a review on Amazon provided they’ve spent $50 on the site in the past year and even if they haven’t purchased the book, ask them to buy the book first. This allows their reviews to show as “Verified Purchase” and gives the reviews greater legitimacy.

Be very careful about your review strategy. It's always helpful to first (carefully) read Amazon's review policies:

We don't allow anyone to write reviews as a form of promotion.

The following are types of reviews that we don't allow and will remove:

• A review by someone who has a direct or indirect financial interest in the product.
  • A review by someone perceived to have a close personal relationship with the product's owner, author, or artist.
  • A review by the product manufacturer, posing as an unbiased shopper.
  • Multiple negative reviews for the same product from one customer.
  • A review in exchange for monetary reward.
  • A review of a game in exchange for bonus in-game credits.
  • A negative review from a seller on a competitor's product.
  • A positive review from an artist on a peer's album in exchange for receiving a positive review from them.

Edited by Accord64
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, carolinamtne said:

So how do they verify some of those?

Not exactly sure, but they likely do a cursory check of their own databases, which are pretty extensive (including Goodreads, because they own them).

But there are other theories running around. Before sharing, I need a second to prepare...

843735110_tinfoilhat.gif.9acb044bab8807f7fd2d0910b1b25d9b.gif

Okay, so Amazon is hooked into everything on the internet! They secretly monitor your Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter accounts. They even know who you interact with on ChristianWriters! So be careful. Unfriend those who you want to leave reviews. Stop posting with people who may five-star your book. Stop posting those blogs. Oh, and they even know when you dip into Giphy.com to post that tin-foil hat GIF on your favorite writers forum.