What songs stick in your head while writing

Recently, I've got this stupid song, "Feel it Still," by Portugal the Man stuck in my head while writing.  And there's this song called, "My Feet are on the Rock," by I Am They that will not leave my head, either.  I never used to have this problem!

I would say the new music in your head is a change in the way your brain works. For the better!  

May I humbly recommend this book: This is your Brain on Music by Daniel J Levitin

Taking on prominent thinkers who argue that music is nothing more than an evolutionary accident, Levitin poses that music is fundamental to our species, perhaps even more so than language. Drawing on the latest research and on musical examples ranging from Mozart to Duke Ellington to Van Halen, he reveals:

My favourite story from the book is when the author placed electrode sensors hooked up to amplifiers into an owl's brain, played Beethoven's 5th Symphony to the owl through earphones, and heard the symphony come out the speakers attached to the amplifiers!  The owl's brain produced the sound!  Absolutely astounding. 

So how do we deal with earworms (songs that won't go away).  Keep the flow. Keep feeding your brain new music. Some songs will stick and need more prompts to leave. Enjoy each one, for music is the food of love.

• Like 1

I sometimes associate a character with a certain song and it helps me to focus on their behavior.  For example for my m/c in my YA novel 'Complicated' by Avril Lagvine kept popping into my head with them.

When I do character profiles I always pick a song or two for my character.

Edited by Shamrock
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Love this topic.

I wrote my manuscript to a very small playlist of songs that inspired me and put me in the right headspace.  Depending on the scene I was in I sometimes had one song on loop for an hour or two.

I’ve guest taught a couple sermons before too and did the same.  Comiled my notes to music (in those cases worship)

Just now, EricT808 said:

Love this topic.

I wrote my manuscript to a very small playlist of songs that inspired me and put me in the right headspace.  Depending on the scene I was in I sometimes had one song on loop for an hour or two.

I’ve guest taught a couple sermons before too and did the same.  Comiled my notes to music (in those cases worship)

*compiled