22 hours ago, Jeff Potts said:

If you read their wish lists, you'll quickly see where the cultural agenda comes in.  But I cannot blame this on the agents altogether.  Most of the publishers I've researched are pushing this as well

That's what worries me...

I think my work in progress would be ignored on that basis first and honest analysis of my writing would be at the bottom.

Anyone have recommendations for LAs/publishers who seem more level headed in this regard?

Indie publishing is looking more like the only option...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I draw decently well despite little official education in the area. So, I will often draw characters or layout battle scenes or draw locations for different parts of my novels. Here's some stuff I've

Oh! I like the idea of the character forgetting what she looks like, or not knowing because there is no mirror or water or shiny metal in her world!

Which is also what we do when we post chapters or short stories. We cover that by asking for comments to improve, but it always helps when people say good things.

Posted Images

Where is it on Dunya?

Found a pic below that might work depending on the tattoo's location.

Would be fairly easy to photoshop in I think (I have an old version). Could "dye" the hair pink too.

image.png

Edited by RockyMtn Gal
11 hours ago, RockyMtn Gal said:

Where is it on Dunya?

Found a pic below that might work depending on the tattoo's location.

Would be fairly easy to photoshop in I think (I have an old version). Could "dye" the hair pink too.

image.png

It’s on the right inner wrist, so yeah, wouldn’t be visible in this position.

5 hours ago, Shamrock said:

I like the fact that you don't see Dunya's face properly. To me, this woman is too unrealistic to be someone as earthly as Dunya.

True...her hair is kind of too perfect for someone living in a tent.

Since a MC is kind of an alter- ego for me, I have a picture that resembles one of my brothers for reference. He's generally a first-person narrator, so he doesn't describe himself.

Preformed ideas about characters are hard to shake. Johnny Rico from Starship Troopers is a Filipino, and it's an important theme in the book. But another case where a movie got it wrong.

4 hours ago, EClayRowe said:

Preformed ideas about characters are hard to shake.

Yeah, that's why it was painful to strip nearly every reference to my current MC's physical appearance from my story, because I simply could not find a cover-worthy photo that looked like how I pictured him.

Often characters don't develop designs to me until they develop a voice.  Even then it changes a lot as I draw them, redraw them, play with how they feel about their appearance, how others feel about their appearance, how they feel about other's reaction to their appearance and how far with any of that I want to go.  For example, sometimes it's fun to give a character an appearance that matches their desires completely, like giving your rebellious character 15 tattoos, 7 piercings and a mohawk, but as you look at the rebell, you ask what they're rebelling against and can go the other way or part way, or maybe they rebell but are a total wuss when it comes to pain.  Maybe they have 15 temp tattoos.  I think the best advice is to develop the personalities first then the character will come from that.

On 10/7/2020 at 7:56 AM, Thomas Davidsmeier said:

I've seen this advice so many times that I've stopped questioning it. Expert people say, "Your cover is your package. It doesn't have to perfectly match elements of the book, it just has to sell people on the kind of book it is."

That said, given the lack of sales of my most recent book, I'm not sure I should give any advice to anybody.

I think this makes sense and so far (rookie here so take this with multiple grains of salt) I have had the characters mostly defined in my mind (especially since mine are based on real people just fictionalized around the edges.). Then when it comes time for a cover I hope to pay someone to make that compelling and can hold my opinion of their appearance loosely for what an artist feels would grab attention.  So the characters are known to me for the purposes of my writing but I am flexible on how they are presented for the purposes of marketing.

Don’t know if that’s good or bad.  🙂

The series I am working on, my character's only features are that he has brown hair, brown eyes, and can lose himself in a crowd.  Recently, I had an illustrator do a rendering of a scene from my book, with the main character in it.  Consequently, it has the character with his back to the viewer, looking out from a window.  I thought that sort of representative of my work.  I don't think I want to be specific about the character himself, I want the reader to imagine him for themselves.

As for book covers, yeah the cover should be representative of the book, but the term "representative" is very open.  Romance books are going to want to go the Fabio route.  But when you get beyond that?  The cover needs to catch the reader's eye, AND represent what's in the book.  If you have a cover with a guy slaying a dragon, and there is no dragon in the book, or if you have pretty flowers in the sunshine, and the book itself is a horror novel, the reader is going to feel cheated that they were initially presented one thing, but given another.

It's more feel than fact.  But the cover should look professional, and attract the eye.  That's probably the main goal right there.