Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
suspensewriter

I've Got Another One

Posted (edited)

This Jewish-Christian sent in a manuscript, that contests a lot of beliefs about scripture.  One in particular, is he doesn't believe in the Trinity, and backs this up with many passages from scripture.  I pointed out a passage that refutes his point, where Jesus goes into the Garden of Gethsemane and prays to the Father with no one else around, but he doesn't agree with it, instead saying, "He was not trying to prove the Lord was three persons.  He was speaking from His humanity, not from His deity.

Remember, the Lord is our Father…Isa. 63:16…64:8…John 14:9.  A good question for this confusion is….. when was the everlasting Father (Isa. 9:6) born in Bethlehem (Mic. 5:2)?" 

I don't want to get into a debate with him, but should I publish his book?  He raises many good points besides the ones I disagree with.

So, I guess the question is should we publish only those things we 100% agree with, or publish other opinions and let the reader sort it out?

Edited by suspensewriter

Okay. I'm putting myself in your shoes for a moment. (And no, I don't have smelly feet! :D ) I could not, in all good conscience, publish a book that went against Scripture (all of it). Now that said, there may be instances where I don't agree with the submitter 100% but I might publish the book, though it would depend what I did disagree with. We don't all agree 100% of the time. So no, according to what you've said, I would not publish his book. The Trinity is basic theology.

Now, do you have a statement on your site pertaining to books agreeing with Scripture?

No, this is the first submission I've had like this.  So we don't have a statement on the site, although it's probably a pretty good idea.  Thanks, Lynn.

4 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

So, I guess the question is should we publish only those things we 100% agree with, or publish other opinions and let the reader sort it out?

Like @lynnmosher said, the Trinity is one of the fundamental/foundational beliefs of Christianity. It's not one of those things we can have differing beliefs on. Because of that, if I were in your place, I wouldn't publish his book. Also, @lynnmosher had another good point. Maybe you should consider having a statement of faith on your website that authors have to sign when they submit a manuscript. That would probably cut down on the number of unbiblical submissions you received.

Just a suggestion, instead of the authors signing a statement of faith, you might put up an explanation of what you will accept and what you will not. Brief, not a long one. That will tell writers whether or not they want to submit without signing something long-winded and detailed.

As I recall, Paul wrote that anyone who could confess that Jesus is Lord was saved. That's all it took. OK, two things, not just one. Romans 10:9--because if you confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. (NRSV)

Posted (edited)

In all honesty, I don't think you should feel obligated to give a specific reason why you pass on a manuscript. All I'd say is something like "thank you for your submission, unfortunately it doesn't meet what we're currently looking for." That way you don't get caught up in theological debates that could come back to haunt you later. 

Edited by Accord64
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Accord64 said:

"thank you for your submission, unfortunately it doesn't meet what we're currently looking for."

Yup. That's what I would say.

Thanks for giving us a glance at the desk of an editor/publisher, SW. This helps us when we write and submit. 

We do need unity on some doctrines, charity on some, and grace in everything.

If you had the time to engage this author and refine the good points, you might do the world good service. You might be able to herd his beliefs into the right path, though what you wrote here doesn't give much encouragement for that. 

I agree with everything already stated so I'm not going to say it again. I will say you should post requirements, limits whatever you care or need to call it. And if you feel this strongly about it act in your best consciousness.