Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
William D'Andrea

Does This Sound Like a Scam?

Does this sound like a scam?

I turned on my cellphone about 4:15 PM this afternoon, and there was a voicemail.  I heard the end of a recorded message, in which the caller gave me a phone number to call.

When he finished stating the numbers, he told me, "If you don't call back, an arrest warrant will be issued."

Then he hung up, and I immediately hung up.  Then I tried to call back, but his number was not on the inbox list.   

To me it's obviously some kind of scam.  I am a responsible, law abiding citizen who hasn't commit crimes, so there's no reason why any arrest warrant would be issued.  So I don't expect the police to show up at my door sometime late tonight.  I just wonder what he was trying to pull.

I also wonder if any of you would have any ideas about something like this.  I'd just like some confirmation that I'll be safe from any harassment, so I'll be able to get a good night sleep.

It's like I said in my last posting.   The Bible says, "Resist the devil and he will flee from you."  But with me he just keeps coming back.

I ask for your prayers for my safety and peace of mind.  In Jesus Name.  Amen.

It's just a scam. They were probably waning you to give them your credit card number to pay them some fee. Block that number on your phone.

• Like 1

The same thing happened to my sister once. Definitely a fake.

Classic "arrest warrant" scam. Very common. Best thing to do is to ignore it. NEVER try to call them back.   

I agree with the rest of these people! It's a complete scam! And carolina has a point. If the police were after you, they should've probably broke down the door if you didn't open it and cuff you immediately.

Posted (edited)

Last night, a few hours after I posted the message that began this topic, I received another phone call from the same person.  He said that someone involved with illegal drugs in Texas, was using my social security number, and that I was in danger of having my social security account frozen, so I'd be unable to make any deductions.

My entire income consists of monthly Social Security deposits into my bank account, along with monthly EBT payments, so I was in danger of losing my entire income.

This morning I went to my local Bank, where the Bank Manager assured me that my account was safe.  I was than able to purchase a money order to pay for my monthly utilities bill, using my debit card with no difficulty.

So it looks like things are going to be okay.

I also checked out the Area Code of the phone number, which was used to make the first call.  The caller's Area Code is 248, which covers a community named Troy, in the State of Michigan.  Not far from Pontiac.   I live on Long Island, in the State of New York.  Far more than one thousand miles away, which just confirms that it was all a scam.   

I again thank the Lord, and I thank all of you for your prayers and comforting advice.

In Jesus Name.  Amen.

Edited by William D'Andrea
  • Like 1

Report it to the police and your phone provider.

Someone else might get and fall for it. 

The problem with trusting phone numbers is that scammers can use any number they want from wherever they want. I get phone calls from my own community, just a small rural town. So where the call seemed to come from probably is not where it did come from. Yes, give the police, but they will probably tell you that it has nothing to do with who is making the calls. 

It's so hard these days, when we've been taught to trust, to just ignore a phone call if you don't recognize the number. I have a phone that screens the callers. If they will identify themselves, it will let me answer if I choose. The robo calls don't identify themselves, so they never make it to me.

Please, please, please, William, don't ever, EVER, give your information out over the phone to someone who calls you. And Carolina is right. They use numbers from anywhere. We not only get local numbers but we've had calls from our own number! If there ever were a problem with your SS, they would NOT call you. They reach out by mail. If you don't recognize the phone number, don't even answer it. If it's truly a call for you, they will leave you a message. Scammers will tell you anything to get information from you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, carolinamtne said:

And the more you answer, the more they call back, because they know you will answer, which gives them a chance.

Last night, when I was talking to him I said, "I'm beginning to wonder if this is all a scam."

Then I hung up, and I haven't received another call from that number.

• Like 1

I'd strongly suggest that you stop answering calls from numbers you don't know. If they leave a message, you can take your time to figure out if it's a legit call without being pressured or unintentionally giving away personal information.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Accord64 said:

I'd strongly suggest that you stop answering calls from numbers you don't know. If they leave a message, you can take your time to figure out if it's a legit call without being pressured or unintentionally giving away personal information.

Normally, when I receive unsolicited calls, they are usually from someone wanting to sell something which doesn't interest me, so I hang up.  If it's a recorded message, I also delete it.

However, the guy I spoke to last night, stated that an "arrest warrant" might be issued ; so believe me.  I stayed on line; at least until I figured out that it was a scam.

I've only given my phone number to comparatively few people.  They include my sister, my niece and nephew; my doctor; and the manager of the senior citizen housing community where I'm now living.  It's in her office files.  The pastor of the Church I attend also has my number, along with a few close friends.  They are also all the people whose numbers I have on my cellphone.  For me, that's more than enough. 

As for business dealings I only use the internet.       

Edited by William D'Andrea

You don't have to give them your number. They dial all the combinations. They have no idea who is on the other end of the line; they just dial and scam you.

The thought has just occurred to me, that we should all pray for whoever's involved in this scamming.

Lord.  I ask you to lead them into repentance and that they will receive salvation in Christ.  I ask in Jesus Name.  Amen. 

• Like 1