Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
lynnmosher

Permissions and fair use

Posted (edited)

Same here, Lynn.  I love this line, though: 

"Unfortunately, quoting or excerpting someone else’s work falls into one of the grayest areas of copyright law. There is no legal rule stipulating what quantity is OK to use without seeking permission from the owner or creator of the material. Major legal battles have been fought over this question, but there is still no black-and-white rule."

Edited by suspensewriter

QS, you're welcome! :)

SW, you, too! And yeah, it does get foggy. Too bad there isn't some clear rule. :)

I  believe that Her Royal Majesty, Elizabeth II is the final arbiter for permission to use the Authorised Version, commonly called The King James Version. Go right to the top!🤪😀😀

Thanks @lynnmosher, this was a very useful post and came just in the nick of time.  I read it before posting an intended article on my website and did not realize I should seek permission for the quote. Especially since I was planning to link the quote back to her blog article. 

However, after reading this post and the attached article, I sent an email to the author requesting permission and forwarded a copy of the article I wanted to post.  She replied back, after reading my article, giving me permission to use the quotes there as long is it was properly credited and linked back to her site. She thanked me for asking permission. 

It felt good know that I read this article beforehand and was able to gain the permission needed.  I wrongly assumed quoting someone in my work was giving honor to what they had written. The article you provided sheds a new light on my thinking.

Thanks again!