Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Shamrock

Anyone used Reedsy's services?

Reedsy is a website that ' market place that homes'  editors, designers, marketers for writers to engage with.  

It also runs webliners on aspects of the writing process with guest speakers.  I viewed a few - it is a bit hit and miss but I wondered if any had used the market place at all?

From kindlepreneur.com...

As with any platform, there are going to be some drawbacks to using the service. For starters, Reedsy only features verified professionals. This is great from a quality standpoint, but it's unlikely you're going to find a bargain here. You'll likely find cheaper services available on a platform like Upwork.

Reedsy also doesn’t give you any contact information or email addresses until you enter into official collaboration with a designer or editor. This can be a turn-off for some authors who would like to conduct more research on their own before settling into an agreement, but remember, there is a satisfaction guarantee.

Thanks @Shamrock for asking this question.  I too have done some of the e-Courses they offer and was wondering the same about the market place. This is helpful information @lynnmosher for when I do start looking around.

At least Reedsy are up front about who they are (overall).

Just had an email from Pegaus Publications - they are another 'author partnership' company.  I summitted my MS months ago to them by mistake. When I realised my mistake I emailed asking for the MS to be withdrawn.

They have just emailed to offer me an 'inclusive contract' - but I would still have to pay a contribution to the work being published.

I have emailed them back saying thanks but no thanks and stating I had emailed them instructing them to delete the MS.

No if only a real publisher would email offering a contract 🙃

If you truly want to go the trad route, I would suggest an agent first. I think you mentioned somewhere you were looking ???

Posted (edited)

At least Reedsy are up front about who they are (overall).

Just had an email from Pegaus Publications - they are another 'author partnership' company.  I submitted my MS months ago to them by mistake. When I realised my mistake I emailed asking for the MS to be withdrawn.

They have just emailed to offer me an 'inclusive contract' - but I would still have to pay a contribution to the work being published.

I have emailed them back saying thanks but no thanks and stating I had emailed them instructing them to delete the MS.

I seem to have done that before.

Edited by Shamrock

Oh, good! Glad you found that. I haven't had time to look there yet. I've WE for years. They are really good. There was also another really good one that ended but someone recently started it up again. But I can't remember the name for anything. Been driving me nuts. As soon as I find it, I'll post it. Glad you're doing a thorough search. Many do not and get sucked into creating a hole in their wallet! ;)

On 9/29/2020 at 11:49 AM, Shamrock said:

I wondered if any had used the market place at all

I self-published the first book in my series a few years ago, after having it edited by a freelance editor. She did a good job, but in thinking about writing and publishing the following books in the series, I decided I wanted to get a more professional opinion. So, I looked at Reedsy to find someone to do a manuscript evaluation before I finalize the next books in the series.

The process of finding the person on Reedsy was well-structured and easy to do. I specified what I wanted and a bit of info about the book. I was also able to use the search function to narrow down the candidates to those I felt were in the right general areas of interest (Christian and fantasy).  Each editor has a bio and example of the books they have edited. I even went on Amazon and did a look inside for some to see how the finished products looked.

Once I hit submit, over the next few days I got back responses from all of the 5 editors I choose. One declined due to previous commitments, but the others came back with responses. The responses gave me even more info on how they would approach the task.

The person I chose was involved in editing the Hunger Games books, so I think I will get the level of critique I am looking for.

And yes, the price is probably twice what I would have paid for a freelancer from another site (I did also look on the site Lynn mentioned - EFA, Editorial Freelancers Association) but I really want to get a solid critique of the book.

I'll let ya'll know how it plays out. 😅

OK - I have had some initial feedback from the editor I chose via Reedsy to look at my synopsis, query letter and MS.

I need to look at the Synopsis and Query letter - and her comments on my social media platforms over the weekend but the thing I wanted to flag up here was their answer to which authors I might write like or what books 'Demons' might be in a similar vein too which I asked specifically for them to consider as it is something that agents request.

Here is their answer.

Thank you very much for sharing your manuscript and query letter materials with me. I’m glad that I got to work on this piece, because it’s just the sort of story that I enjoy — an epic that focuses on a circle of friends and family, anchored by a love story. For this reason, I think that your story should be classified as an “upmarket romance novel” in the vein of Liane Moriarity, Rosamunde Pilcher, and even Nicholas Sparks.

I have heard of Nicholas Sparks but not the other two. Would I be right in thinking they are USA based authors?

And what on earth does 'upmarket romance novel' mean in plain English? Not a term I have heard here in the UK (but that doesn't mean it isn't used - just I'm now aware of it.)

PS I have just googled them - Rosamunde Pilcher is an English novelist. - Apparently according to one site which identifies writers who write like her - I write like Elizabeth Berg and Maeve Binchy.  Yikes!   That what we use to call 'kitchen sink dramas' when I was young 🤨

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shamrock said:

And what on earth does 'upmarket romance novel' mean in plain English? Not a term I have heard here in the UK (but that doesn't mean it isn't used - just I'm now aware of it.)

I'd never heard of it either. Here's a definition I found: "Upmarket fiction is a subgenre of fiction books that incorporates elements of page-turning mainstream fiction, while still showcasing the more nuanced prose and complex character development more often found in literary fiction."

It sounds like a really good thing! :)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, HK1 said:

Here's a definition I found: "Upmarket fiction is a subgenre of fiction books that incorporates elements of page-turning mainstream fiction, while still showcasing the more nuanced prose and complex character development more often found in literary fiction."

Translated - kitchen-sink soap with class. 😄

I can live with that.👍

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, are there any literary agents and Editorial services in the UK?  Everywhere I look they seemed to have all moved to the States., 

Funnily enough I have asked Reedsy that question because the team are UK based and Martin who hosts the webliners is English.

I have to say, the person who worked on my query package was super helpful and has answered all my questions as well as provided detailed feedback on time. Money well spend and good value. (And no I am not plugging just giving feedback on my individual experience - I can't say it would be the same with someone different.)

Ready to rock and roll now.💃

Edited by Shamrock
  • Like 2