Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Jeff Potts

Anyone worked with Enclave Publishing?

I'm half-tempted to query.

They supposedly have a hard minimum of 75,000, but the book I'm submitting is 73,000+.  

Thoughts anyone?

Isn't Steve Laube and agent too?

I wouldn't worry about the word limit. If they like it they will help you edit it down. It's on 1K. I lost more than that just through cutting filter words and rewriting sentences in one edit.

Edited by Shamrock
spelling

12 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

Why are you having second thoughts about a mere 2,000 word difference?  Is there something else about them that bothers you?

Their submission page said that a book would not be considered unless it met all of the requirements.

The story is tight enough as is, and I'm roughly 1.5K words shy.  I can't see adding another chapter just to meet some arbitrary requirement.  

And, of course, just a general query to see if anyone here has had some bad experiences with them.

4 hours ago, Shamrock said:

Isn't Steve Laube and agent too?

I wouldn't worry about the word limit. If they like it they will help you edit it down. It's on 1K. I lost more than that just through cutting filter words and rewriting sentences in one edit.

Supposedly Laube (Laub?) sold it off.  I've thought about submitting to him as well, but I'm getting a little jaded about agents at this point.  On October 1st, five of the agents I submitted to are coming off my list, and I may think about going to him.

Ands it's already edited down far enough (though I'm thinking about cutting an additional 5 paragraphs).  I am hesitant to making any more cuts.  The pacing and the story are pretty tight.

44 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

If I understood what you said about their minimum, you're already under the count. Cutting more is not going to help.

I know that.

But the paragraphs in question are redundant, and overkill as it relates to the character.

7 hours ago, Jeff Potts said:

Their submission page said that a book would not be considered unless it met all of the requirements.

I don't think they'll balk at 1,500 words thin on your submission.  Guidelines have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Jeff, you know what you could do is to write them and tell them you're considering submitting to them with 73,000 words (or not tell them that) and ask how strict is the 75,000. Never hurts to ask.