Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
jadijohnson

WordPress Has Gone Crazy!

Hello, fellow writers!  I come to you today with a strange problem.  I used to post my book reviews on a Christian website that has closed down.  Now I'm receiving emails from WordPress asking me to please moderate one of my book reviews.  I wasn't posting my reviews on WordPress!!  I don't know how they got a hold of my book review, but they are driving me crazy with dozens of duplicate emails making their request.  If any of you know how to deal with this annoyance, I would greatly appreciate your help.  I can't seem to find a contact number or email address so I can make my own request...that they stop sending me requests!  Thanks for your help. 🙂

Hello, Lynn!  When I hover over the email address, it says Wordpress@(the old Christian website).  When the old website closed down, it didn't say that my book reviews would be found at a new website.

I don't think that is WP. I've never seen an email address like that. If this were me? I wouldn't respond and keep marking them as spam. But you do as you want. It doesn't sound right to me.

Thank you both.  I've probably received 25 email messages from them in the last hour.  It's getting way out of hand.  Do you think yahoomail could do anything about it, like blocking the messages?

Email I have from WordPress is from "donotreply@wordpress.com" and on top of that, the harassment sounds like spam. I'd personally put a filter on that email to send it to spam (if not trash) and ignore it. But I have gmail so I can't help regarding yahoo filters.

Yahoo will tell you to block it yourself in your settings. What you have is a bot after you. That's too many for one person to be doing this and it's not legit.

• Like 1

You're right, Lynn!  After I changed my password as a precaution, I opened the Chat feature at yahoo.com.  It was recommended that I block the sender, which I did.  I was also able to delete every email I had received with the push of a key!  Problem solved!  Thank you to everyone who gave their suggestions.  I really didn't know what to do about this problem.  Hopefully, it will help others in the future who come across this same problem. 😊

• Like 3

just wanted to point out a few things,

If you ever get an email you are unsure about, if you can get to the message headers 99% of the time you can see the true email address it was actually sent from since a lot of emails sent these days are spoofed to look like they are coming from someone else or a legitimate business/organisation.

spam is a huge problem and there is no cure per say. You can block it and make mailbox rules to auto trash if the emails are coming from the same email address, if they are coming from different email address this won't help. Never unsubscribe from an email as it only confirms that the email address belongs to a real person and thus will probably get put into an email list and sold and although you will no longer get that email, you will start to get 5+ more. If you want to protect your email address get a disposable email address that you use to sign up to stuff online so that your personal email is less likely to be obtained and sold on an email list and only use your personal one to contact people you know or authenticated email addresses.

22 hours ago, jadijohnson said:

It definitely worked.  I didn't have a single email from that address.  I'm so relieved it's over! 😀

Oh, good! 👏

You're right, Amosathar.  I once got a notification from "Amazon," saying they had received my order for over a thousand dollars (which I never placed).  After freaking out, I notified the real Amazon.  They replied that there was no pending order.  I guess the fake Amazon was hoping I'd fork over $1,000 to them...

I get those all the time from numerous "sites"! Always hover over their email address and you'll immediately know whether or not it's fake.

Good advice, Lynn.  If I had hovered over the email address, I would've known it was a fake.  I'll have to keep that little trick in mind!

51 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

I wonder why.  I don't get any junk mail.

Do you get spam mail? Sometimes, these things end up in the spam folder.

Hmmm...I have two thoughts on that. One: I don't know that would matter. Reviews usually have the reviewer's name on it. And two: they wouldn't have your name listed with the review. Oh, and three: would not having your name on the review matter to you?

I don't think my name was on the reviews I posted on the Chrisitan website since I had my own blog within the website.  So someone else could pass the reviews off as their own, which would definitely matter to me!  I worked hard on those reviews!  

I got to know the owner of the website before it closed down.  I actually emailed him to see if he knew how the fake WordPress got a hold of my book review, but he hasn't responded.  (Of course, at the time I didn't know it was a fake.)