Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
suspensewriter

Have you thought about Audible?

Any of you self-publishers out there, have you ever thought of publishing you books of Audible (audiobooks)?  They have a royalty share where you can publish, if you can find a narrator, for free.  You just split the royalties (which are 40%) with the narrator.

Yes, but honestly, where do you get a better deal?  They dominate the market, and are owned by Amazon.  You get distribution through Amazon, Apple and Google, too.

I'm currently considering it. I would probably try to do a recording myself after I learned a bit more about how to do it. None of my titles have enough previous sales or popularity to look appealing as a royalty share arrangement from what I last read.

When I researched, narrators were saying that royalty share arrangements were much less appealing than flat upfront fees from authors that didn't already have an established audience and proven popularity. Basically, if you're a new author, they don't want to put hours and hours of work into a project that has a strong possibility of going nowhere and making very little money.

I'll probably make my just published book as a practice audiobook because it really isn't doing anything on Amazon. I tried heavy AMS keyword advertising, got my book in front of a ~120K shoppers and had only ~50 clicks on ads and 0 sales from all that. Clearly, I failed to put that book in a good niche with a hungry audience. Might as well just use it as a practice script to learn the process of making an audiobook for my other more popular, better placed series. 

Edited by Thomas Davidsmeier
spelling

1 hour ago, Thomas Davidsmeier said:

None of my titles have enough previous sales or popularity to look appealing as a royalty share arrangement from what I last read.

The audio marketplace is a different marketplace.  You just might be surprised.