Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Shamrock

Deep River Books Publishing

Has anyone come across these guys?

They say they are a 'partner service' publisher.  The request to see the full MS of Demons came via Writers Edge.

From their website it seems that they providea  publishing services but it is up to the author to promote their book DRB site

Not sure they are for me, but a nice ego boost after tense conversations with the Diocese Secretary and the Archdeacon about church finances.😁

• Like 1

One thing: they require you to purchase 1000 books. They are not BBB accredited. Partnership usually means vanity. Deep River was formally VMI (Virtue Ministries Inc. They were a sister arm of WinePress Publishing, which closed amid "numerous author complaints, hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt" and a death. That's what I've found so far.

Thought I smelt a rat.

Thanks for the head up.👍

Not impress with Writet's Edge.  They should have known better.

Yeah. I think places like Writer's Edge are a hangout for vanity pubs to hang out and pounce on those who don't do their research and pay out multiple dineros for not much in return.

• Thanks 1

Publishing Houses

According to wriiters edge their clientils includes houses that tell new writers to sign up with WE to get their work reviewed because they won't accept unsolicted MS. 

Okay. I look at it this way: with all the piles of manuscripts on the desks of publishers and agents, why would they take time to go to a site to rummage through all those there? o_O

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lynnmosher said:

Okay. I look at it this way: with all the piles of manuscripts on the desks of publishers and agents, why would they take time to go to a site to rummage through all those there?

I completely agree with you but Harper Collins state clearly on their submission page they only go through Writer's Edge to look at unsolicited submission. Bethany House suggest Chrsitan Book Publishing (although you can also sub to them direct.)

I signed up with WE as an experiment to be honest. I won't be renewing my submission with them in the new year. Their customer service is dire. I have asked them to amend error on the summary they wrote and never had a reply from them. Take the money and run - I think🤔

I can't believe how much people are prying on a person's desire to get published. It's criminal. 

Weellll...I did a little snooping and HC is not BBB accredited. And last year, they were found guilty of fraud and breach of contract. I don't know why they would suggest going to WE. I did find something that bears out what I've said from Writer Beware...

A special caution for Christian writers: A number of submission services exist especially for Christian writers, and many Christian publishers, in an effort to reduce their slush piles, actively encourage writers to use them. A couple of examples: ChristianManuscriptSubmissions.com (formerly ECPA 1st Edition) and Writers’ Edge.

Generally speaking, these services aren’t expensive: $50-100 buys you a listing for a period of weeks or months. However, the listings may be little more than a capsule description of your book (with less information than you’d provide in a query letter) in a catalog or newsletter full of other listings, or an online database where publishers are supposed to go to search for suitable manuscripts. Despite what the services may state or imply on their websites–and despite the major Christian houses that encourage writers to use the services–the truth is that publishers pay them little attention. They can also be ideal hunting grounds for disreputable publishers. I’ve heard from a number of writers who’ve been approached by vanity publishers as a result of using one of the Christian submission services.

Interestingly enough, both WE & CBP have a tick box for you to tick if you do NOT want to be approached by a publishing services company to contact you.  I guess DRB got around it by promoting themselves as a 'author partnership publisher.'

I have politely declined DRB offer. 

If I wanted to be conventionally published, I'd be pitching to agents instead of looking for a "partner."

• Like 1