Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
SeekingGrace

Fiction or Nonfiction

I am new to taking a Christian writing seriously.  I am wondering which direction to really go with my writing.  Should I go towards more Christian Fiction or should focus on Christian Nonfiction?  I have some developmental  ideas for both fiction and nonfiction.  But I have a more developed idea for a Nonfiction story.  

For the fiction story, it is based on a personal experience I had witnessing an hit and run accident. My friend nearly died after being hit by car one night.  I would love write a story based on my spiritual experience that night.  

Basically, the main character would not be a Christian believe before the accident or at least not in speaking terms with God due to her learning about her mother’s recent diagnosis to breast cancer.  She was angry with God and felt the idea of Jesus just might be a folktale.  However, her friend is a Progressive Christian and an active member local community church.   They both go out to local event or a wine bar to celebrate the main character’s birthday.   They are walking back to the car and have to cross a street to get to the car.  It’s late at night and the street light is broken.  They both look for crossing car and attempt to cross the street.   But a black Honda Civic without its headlights on come zooming down the street.  It misses the main character by inches but forces her friend to fly in the air from the impact of the car.  The friend is rushed to the hospital.  Because the friend is Deaf, the main character was asked to help interrupt in sign language to her friend, in case she wakes up from her coma.   

Anyway, I wrote a little bit about this story before in a college creative writing class a while back.   I would like to expand it in some ways.   But not sure if it would draw any attention.  The main character is Hard of hearing (like myself). So, it will introduce some Deaf culture into the story.   

Would that be something I should explore now in my writing?  Should follow through with the Christian Nonfiction story?   

The nonfiction idea is a theological idea about Destiny and Fate.   

Would be an amazing topic to explore?   I am just wondering.

3 hours ago, SeekingGrace said:

Would that be something I should explore now in my writing?  Should follow through with the Christian Nonfiction story?   

Write it. Stories from personal experience can be very powerful.

I think your story idea sounds like it has a lot of potential. But you’ll never know unless you write it. Why not begin and see what happens?

Could you do both?  I love your fiction idea.  You could set aside time for the fiction and the nonfiction if you want.  Maybe you work on fiction for month and then nonfiction for next month?  Just some ideas?  They would require different format of course, but it is all up to you!

I thought about doing both, actually.  Right now I am in the process of developing a blog.  With all the editing and design, I am overwhelmed!   But I am getting there.  I hope to launch it soon as possible.  But I am taking my time and not rushing it.

9 hours ago, SeekingGrace said:

But I have a more developed idea for a Nonfiction story.  

If you have a more developed idea for a nonfiction story, I would go with it.  When you've completed it, you'll have plenty of time to write a fictional piece.  You'll need the development time, because fictional pieces are intrinsically harder than nonfiction.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice.  The blog I am developing is going to focus on nonfictional topics surrounding Christian theology.  I think I probably focus on that for the time being.

I write both. In fact, I couldn't write one without the other.

- Reading poetry (and writing a little of it) helped me learn style and emotion. The style can be applied to both fuction and nonfiction.

- Writing fiction helped me learn to tell a story with my nonfiction.

- Writing nonfiction helped me find ideas to use for my fiction themes.

My personal struggles inform my writing. Things that I have trouble with in my life become struggles that my characters go through in my fiction. Then the theological insights I get in how my faith and the Bible's wisdom can help me solve those problems become the heart of the nonfiction. Research for the nonfiction deepens my insight of the topic, which feeds into my next fiction piece. This cycle keeps going. You may find the same thing works for you.

• Like 1