Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Sarah Daffy

Does this sound like a good kingdom name?

Does Netherway sound like a good name for a modern-day, fictional kingdom? Does it sound like Norway or Netherland?

Also, can you get in trouble for making up a ruler for, say, modern-day France and publishing it in a book?

Edited by Sarah Daffy

Well I will point out that with minecraft being so popular, the nether is burning dimension and the nether 

but in terms of an adjective it means lying or believed to lie beneath the earth's surface; infernal: the nether regions. It is also very close to neverland which may make people think of peter pan

not sure if that answers your question .. you could have something like Nethartonia 

Edited by Amosathar
  • Like 1

The Free Dictionary defines "nether" as an adjective, "lower, bottom, beneath, underground, inferior, basal," as Amosathar pointed out. I would say it depends upon the kingdom you're creating and the impression you want to give at the beginning.

• Like 1

That name would give me the impression of something dark and sinister; if that’s what you’d going for, great. 

As for creating a fictional president of France, I don’t see why that would be a problem. Maybe just avoid making him too much like the real one, if you want to be really safe.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Sarah Daffy said:

Does Netherway sound like a good name for a modern-day, fictional kingdom? Does it sound like Norway or Netherland?

Also, can you get in trouble for making up a ruler for, say, modern-day France and publishing it in a book?

Sounds like a good name to me.

And nowadays, you can get in trouble from the Mob by writing about a male killer who dresses up in women's clothes.  Or, perish the thought, daring to mention the names of God or Jesus.

Edit: Norland sounds good too.

Edited by Jeff Potts
  • Like 1

@Zee nailed it. I think the name works, clearly being a cross between the Netherlands and Norway, but it pulls in the gritty, dark overtones that @Amosathar pointed out.

Countries don't sue because you are making up fictional world about them, or Pixar would be in total trouble...

Nowhere do you get to play with word nuance more than proper names. It can be amazing when you find just the right one. Have fun!

• Like 1