Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Lana Christian

Communication Snafus in the Bible

Adorable! I especially like how you point out how simple God's way of guiding Adam and Jonah was. This leaves so much room for me to be a thinking, mature person as I carry out his plan.

In flip side version of communication, I remember the first time I read about how God told Moses to conceal what the Israelites were actually going to do with Pharaoh. God himself told his prophet to not be forthcoming about the real plan. It was mind blowing to realize God doesn't subscribe to the "whole truth" version of talking. He's quite comfortable keeping people in the dark about important things when it suits his purposes.

• Like 1

Hi @Celebrianne Do you remember where in the bible God told Moses to conceal what the Israelites were planning to do with Pharaoh.  I can't find anywhere in the bible where God told Israelites to do anything with Pharaoh.  It was Moses and Aaron who confronted Pharaoh.  I probably have not yet read those chapters.

25 minutes ago, Focus said:

Hi @Celebrianne Do you remember where in the bible God told Moses to conceal what the Israelites were planning to do with Pharaoh.  I can't find anywhere in the bible where God told Israelites to do anything with Pharaoh.  It was Moses and Aaron who confronted Pharaoh.  I probably have not yet read those chapters.

Sure thing. It's here:

And they will listen to your voice, and you and the elders of Israel shall go to the king of Egypt and say to him, ‘The Lord, the God of the Hebrews, has met with us; and now, please let us go a three days' journey into the wilderness, that we may sacrifice to the Lord our God.’ But I know that the king of Egypt will not let you go unless compelled by a mighty hand. Exodus 3:18-19 ESV

And all I meant by "with Pharaoh" was that they weren't sharing with him, not that they would do anything *to* him. Sorry about that!

Edited by Celebrianne

Ah! Thanks for that.  I misunderstood.  I assumed you were referring to Israelites hurting Pharaoh through signs and wonders, that Moses did, and God told Moses to conceal that plan.

5 minutes ago, Focus said:

Ah! Thanks for that.  I misunderstood.  I assumed you were referring to Israelites hurting Pharaoh through signs and wonders, that Moses did, and God told Moses to conceal that plan.

Well, now that you mention it, God didn't have Moses tell Pharaoh how bad it was going to be for him up front either!

When God give you assignment, He will not tell what is ahead but He will promise you He will always be with you. but you have to be strong and be courageous to overcome all

• Like 1

Thanks @Celebrianne for clarifying what you meant by "with Pharaoh" in your edited original post.  I agree with @ebsamali that God will not tell you everything that is ahead, he could show you the end result.  As for Pharaoh, God did not hide anything from him.  He told him to let his people go and he refused.  Pharaoh experienced the consequences of disobedience.  God did not hide the fact that Pharaoh would refuse the request from Moses either.  

When Pharaoh knew and had experienced the consequences of disobedience, he still did not let God's people go.  God showed him from the very first time that he, God had the power to do signs and wonders to hurt Pharaoh, but Pharaoh still refused and misplaced his own trust in his own magicians to counter God.

3 hours ago, Focus said:

God did not hide anything from him.  He told him to let his people go and he refused.

As I recall, the scriptures that God hardened his heart. 

A new insight into the Jonah story! Now I'm going through translations and commentaries. Nineveh was a great threat to the Northern Kingdom but they had to repent, temporarily, so they could be used as God's instrument later.

• Like 1