Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Zee

Read Anything Similar?

A lot of you all here have read portions of my books, and some have even critiques faithfully chapter after chapter. In fact, you all are my biggest fans.

So  I’d like to know, is there another author/series/book they remind you of? This would be helpful information as I continue to work on promoting them.

Yes, Joesph Conard.  He was very good at writing stories about people with a strong political background.

That's my starter for 10. 

No.  Among modern day authors that I have encountered, you're unique.  Of course, I don't read the Romance Genre.  I'd be interested to see if those who do have an opinion on the matter.

1 hour ago, Shamrock said:

Yes, Joesph Conard.  He was very good at writing stories about people with a strong political background.

That's my starter for 10. 

Do you mean Joseph Conrad? The only thing I’ve ever read of his is “Heart of Darkness,” and I honestly don’t see the similarity. But maybe you’re thinking of someone else?

20 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

No.  Among modern day authors that I have encountered, you're unique.  Of course, I don't read the Romance Genre.  I'd be interested to see if those who do have an opinion on the matter.

Well, it’s nice to be unique, but in this case, it’s probably not great to be too unique...

4 hours ago, Zee said:

Well, it’s nice to be unique, but in this case, it’s probably not great to be too unique...

I have sort of the same problem.  

What I did is I went on Goodreads, browsed the books for my genera, and found one that kind of met the impressions I had of my book.

I found that a TON of books in Fantasy start with the assumption that a character has certain powers, or that they were all part of the "beautiful people," crowd.  Mine has neither powers or looks.  Is not confident in the least.  It was an infuriating search.  But I found one, read a brief synopsis.  Listened to an excerpt on YouTube, and if parts of it fit, used that as a comparative book.

I found something quirky.  That was about as close as I got.  Then I used other classical references to flesh it out.

No book is really unique.  But the agent or reader needs to place it, I guess.  So find something remotely similar, and use that.

20 minutes ago, Jeff Potts said:

I have sort of the same problem.  

What I did is I went on Goodreads, browsed the books for my genera, and found one that kind of met the impressions I had of my book.

I found that a TON of books in Fantasy start with the assumption that a character has certain powers, or that they were all part of the "beautiful people," crowd.  Mine has neither powers or looks.  Is not confident in the least.  It was an infuriating search.  But I found one, read a brief synopsis.  Listened to an excerpt on YouTube, and if parts of it fit, used that as a comparative book.

Thanks for the advice! I suppose that would work well if the book/series you find is fairly well-known. No point in comparing a book nobody has ever heard of with another nobody’s ever heard of either. 

I’ve certainly got a tricky mix to sort through as well. The series has romance and action/suspense elements in a setting that I think would be described as “dystopian” or perhaps “realistic fantasy.”

4 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

Well, I don't know, Zee.  What you've created is a world where, I think, you will gain followers--if you are patient, and above all, keep writing.

Thanks! That’s very encouraging.