Something Has Been Bothering Me for awhile

Recently Lynn Mosher wrote this in her newsletter:  "Oh, my friends, do we fit the Bride’s description? Christ 'loved the church and gave Himself for her, that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish.” (Eph. 5:25-27 NKJV)

As a guy, I have always rebelled at be referred to as a "bride."  Yet, over and over again the church is referred to as a bride, and as a man, I just don't see myself as a "bride."  It's been confusing me for a lot of years.  Then it occurred to me that the church as a whole is just a metaphor for that.  It doesn't refer to individual men as a bride.  Whew.

But am I off base on this?

• Like 1

Try being a woman in a world where "All men are created equal." (And those words did not refer to women at that time.)

"Man shall not live by bread alone" (Matthew 4:4).

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me" (Matthew 16:24).

and many, many more.

Yes, I know. It was intended generically, just like the bride is.

You know, SW, I've never thought about how it appears/means/feels to men. I've always just thought collectively. But I understand your feelings. And no, you're not off-base. And yes, it is generic as Carolina said.

LOL The strangest thought just crossed my mind. xD

image.png.87efadbd72dca2db802883df90587efc.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

You know, I'm not sure. The Bible mentions no marriages in heaven for we will be like angels. Though there seem to be male and female angels, So with resurrected and heavenly bodies, I'm sure we have some differences. I don't think I've ever heard anyone preach on it or read anything about it.

1 hour ago, lynnmosher said:

The Bible mentions no marriages in heaven for we will be like angels. Though there seem to be male and female angels, So with resurrected and heavenly bodies, I'm sure we have some differences. I don't think I've ever heard anyone preach on it or read anything about it.

I've mentioned before that I was glad to see that you don't really look like Snoopy.  Now I'm delighted to know that you will truly look like an angel!  Thank the Lord!  Amen!

12 hours ago, lynnmosher said:

Though there seem to be male and female angels

Female angels? I don't recall any scripture that refers to this.

I agree. The "bride" is more of a generic metaphor, to refer to how we relate to Christ, I don't believe you're off-base at all.

The message in eph5: refer to the message in Matthew 25:1-6,

it mean that Christ been the head of the church is the GROOM every Christian must follow, and once you become the follow of Christ, you have married to him and the only way to be married to Christ is the hearing and doing of his word which HE specifically stated in John14, John15:  and John 17:9.

all of this most be done in spirit and not in flesh because as it it written, those who must serve God must do so in truth and in spirit.

there is a Christian book title: The hard Core Truth on Bad addiction and 7Seven step to overcome it.

everybody should try to get that book on Amazon or Kobo book, the it reveal lots about God spirit and devil (unclean) spirit.  the purpose of bad addiction and it danger on earth, it also reveal all type of addiction. their are lots of revelation contain in it. 

God bless you all...

7 hours ago, JosiAtara said:

Female angels? I don't recall any scripture that refers to this.

You're right, Josi. There isn't. However, if we become like the angels yet keep our gender, then there must female angels that have not been written about. Just a thought. ;)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ebsamali said:

there is a Christian book title: The hard Core Truth on Bad addiction and 7Seven step to overcome it.

everybody should try to get that book on Amazon or Kobo book, the it reveal lots about God spirit and devil (unclean) spirit.  the purpose of bad addiction and it danger on earth, it also reveal all type of addiction. their are lots of revelation contain in it. 

EB, since you are new, you do not yet know that we don't tolerate advertising. Unless it's in the appropriate place. This is advertising, though veiled.

I hope you'll hop over to Meet and Greet and introduce yourself so everyone will know you are here and can welcome you. :)

Just like God the Father isn't Jesus's biological father, and God the Son is not a biological son, the Church as the Bride refers to our role and attitude in our relationship with Christ.

My sermon series at my church (I talk about once a quarter) is all about how God created both the metaphor in Scripture and the actual thing in reality that the metaphor is referencing. That makes both sides of the metaphor important to look at and understand. It isn't just the similarity between them, it is that God chose to create that thing that He then wove into the rest of creation and His Scriptures as an image for us to understand other things through.

Our marriages on earth are designed as part of our lives to help us understand how our final marriage to Jesus Christ himself is supposed to work. Here we need love, dedication, humility, mercy, long suffering, and on and on to do well in marriage. So too, the Church as a whole needs those things in our relationship to Christ Himself. But, marriage is an interesting one, because Paul uses the metaphor backward. He describes how Christ takes care of His Bride, the Church, as an example to us husbands about how we should take care of our wives.

On to sexuality in Heaven. Our sexuality in its proper place is part of our marriage and part of our first commission as humans to, "Go forth, be fruitful and multiply, fill the earth and subdue it." We were given this great task of making the rest of the earth like the Garden of Eden which was God's dwelling place on earth. There's a big difference between a garden and a wilderness. Anyway, on the New Heaven and the New Earth, everything will be submitted to God's righteous will and authority. We won't need the procreating part of our sexuality, and the marriage part will be subsumed in our relationship with our Savior and Lord (that part sounds weird, but I think sexuality has been attacked by Satan because it is such a powerful force for good).

I could go on for awhile about this to be honest. Maybe I should start writing nonfiction... Haha!

• Like 1
On 9/9/2020 at 7:56 AM, suspensewriter said:

Recently Lynn Mosher wrote this in her newsletter:  "Oh, my friends, do we fit the Bride’s description? Christ 'loved the church and gave Himself for her, that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish.” (Eph. 5:25-27 NKJV)

As a guy, I have always rebelled at be referred to as a "bride."  Yet, over and over again the church is referred to as a bride, and as a man, I just don't see myself as a "bride."  It's been confusing me for a lot of years.  Then it occurred to me that the church as a whole is just a metaphor for that.  It doesn't refer to individual men as a bride.  Whew.

But am I off base on this?

the Hebrew word for marriage 'laqach' also means 'doctrine'. The bride is used as a metaphor for those who are taught by Christ.

Paul said that when he spoke of marriage that he did not speak of marriage, but of Christ and the church.  When he said that women should learn from their husbands, he was saying the church should learn from Christ.

The kingdom is teaching.  'Elohim' means God אל separated from his people ים by ignorance ה.

Israel means man יש joined to God אל by revelation ר.

Jerusalem means teaching of peace. The New Jerusalem is the New Teaching of Peace which Jesus ushered in with the sermon on the mount.  

You are not off base. Sounds like right on.

The bride is both a prostitute and a virgin, a goat and a sheep. He takes what we are and makes us new.

Bob, I cannot find in any Hebrew resource where laqach means doctrine. Leqach does mean teaching, instruction, etc. Laqzch means take, taking away, remove, take hold of, take in marriage, etc. Leqach does come from the word laqach but is not the same word. I'm confused and don't understand your reasoning.

You are confused by vowels which were added around 600 AD.   They were the same word when Jesus read them.  לקח    

A similar problem exists elsewhere:

'Amar' and 'emeer' are the same formation  אמר which is 'said', 'word', and lamb. 

When John the baptist said "behold the lamb"  some heard him say "Behold the Word...".

Why would disbelieving Jews add vowels to the language, when even today they are not used in newspapers?  Couldn't be that they wanted to hide Christ from their children?

De 32:2  My doctrine <03948>  [לקחי] shall drop as the rain, my speech shall distil as the dew, as the small rain upon the tender herb, and as the showers upon the grass:
Job 11:4  For thou hast said, My doctrine <03948> [לקחי] is pure, and I am clean in thine eyes.
Pr 4:2  For I give you good doctrine <03948> [לקח], forsake ye not my law.
Isa 29:24  They also that erred in spirit shall come to understanding, and they that murmured shall learn doctrine <03948> [לקח].

Edited by BobJ
added refs
54 minutes ago, BobJ said:

'Amar' and 'emeer' are the same formation  אמר which is 'said', 'word', and lamb. 

When John the baptist said "behold the lamb"  some heard him say "Behold the Word...".

Ah, I see. I'm having a hard time running down these words though. Thank you.