Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Jeff Potts

With the theme of "is this a good Title?"

Which title do you prefer?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which title do you prefer?

• The Tower of Pearl
    • A Tower of Pearl and White

Is this for a fantasy? 

I'd actually suggest rewording to something like "The Pearl Tower" or "The White Pearl Tower" or just "Pearl Tower". 

• Like 2

I'd drop "The" and "A" from both suggestions. 

"Tower of Pearl"

"Tower of Pearl and White"

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Claire Tucker said:

Is this for a fantasy? 

I'd actually suggest rewording to something like "The Pearl Tower" or "The White Pearl Tower" or just "Pearl Tower". 

Yes, it's fantasy.

9 hours ago, Jared Williams said:

Actually, I think pluralizing "Pearls" would make the first one a very strong title... 

The problem is that the tower in the book is formed out of a single piece of stone that is pearlescent.  I think using "pearls" would lead the reader to think that it is a tower made out of a billion actual pearls.

Although...that would have been an AWESOME idea, had I thought of it at the time.

14 minutes ago, Jeff Potts said:

I think using "pearls" would lead the reader to think that it is a tower made out of a billion actual pearls.

I actually thought this without pearls being pluralized... 

• Like 1

Now I can't the image out of my head of someone constructing a 500 ft. tower with a massive pile of pearls, and pallets of boxes with those tiny little tubes of Super Glue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Jeff Potts said:

Now I can't the image out of my head of someone constructing a 500 ft. tower with a massive pile of pearls, and pallets of boxes with those tiny little tubes of Super Glue.

Maybe use that as an origins story... It could be fun :D

2 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

I've got to say that I don't like either of them very much, Jeff.  Sorry to be the odd man out, but they just don't resonate.

None of them resonate with me either, but they are the best I can think of.  The wife likes A Tower of Pearl and White, but that's only because it is the best option I've come up with thus far.

Even in programming, my one biggest flaws is naming stuff.  It's just so subjective.  Everything I name just sort of sounds goofy.  The only things I've named that I like is the actual name of the tower - Eaufen Mirrinholm - and a tertiary character named Geauligoi.

Eaufen Mirrinholm, in a constructed language I made, means, "A Shining Tower of Pearl."  Hence the title.

It's the first book of a series.  I came up with something like "The Shadow of the Demon King," but that sounded kind of obvious and cliche.  The "Demon KIng," as he is referred to, doesn't appear in the first book.  And if I tag the name "Demon King" in the first book, I'll have to continue the theme with the subsequent books, for the sake of consistency.  

The alternative was to use the main character's name: Frankie.  But his name really doesn't sound heroic, and that is by design.  I mean, it is quirky, but the combinations I come up with never seem to sound quirky to me.  They just sound dumb.

Cripes, this is harder than revising that first chapter...which I had to do at least ten times before I found something I liked.

One suggestion I've heard when it comes to titles is to have a brainstorming session and write down, like, 50 titles and then narrow that list down. 

Why can't you just use "Mirrinholm" as the name of the book? 

Or what purpose does the tower serve? Why does it feature in your story? A similar title of a book I've read is "To Green Angel Tower". It's the last in a trilogy and the climax takes place in the green angel tower, which the characters spend the entire book trying to get to. Hence the title. 

Just trying to prompt more ideas for you. 

56 minutes ago, Claire Tucker said:

One suggestion I've heard when it comes to titles is to have a brainstorming session and write down, like, 50 titles and then narrow that list down. 

Why can't you just use "Mirrinholm" as the name of the book? 

Or what purpose does the tower serve? Why does it feature in your story? A similar title of a book I've read is "To Green Angel Tower". It's the last in a trilogy and the climax takes place in the green angel tower, which the characters spend the entire book trying to get to. Hence the title. 

Just trying to prompt more ideas for you. 

No one is going to know with Mirrinholm means.  A title should be something that a perspective reader can understand.  Someone correct me if I am wrong here.

The tower is the place where a main character in the book lives, where the protagonist is taken after being abducted.  He lives there for the first few years of the story, and trains there.  The rest is essentially a wilderness journey to the land of Silvanur, where the next book starts.

I've tried the method you suggest.  Hence the reason why I'm here.  Nothing screams, "this is the one!"

Mirrinholm's Tower - that way they don't need to know the meaning of the word, and it's rather ominous sounding, i think. 

or perhaps Escape from Mirrinholm's Tower

?

3 hours ago, Jeff Potts said:

Cripes, this is harder than revising that first chapter...which I had to do at least ten times before I found something I liked.

Know what you mean. 

I am trying to find another title for the first book in my Sphinx series. 

FYI, "A Tower of Pearl and White" follows the naming conventions of a YA fantasy series (I haven't read it; I can't believe with its content that it's still allowed to be YA). Every book is called "A Court of _____ and ______." Pearl and white are just the sort of words that would be chosen. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if one ended up being "A Court of Pearl and White". 

So, all that to say that I would steer away from that choice. 😕

• Like 1

Isn't this book about the ordinary guy who is kidnapped into a different time to save their "world"? Can you do something with that, kind of like A Yankee in King Arthur's Court?

37 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

Isn't this book about the ordinary guy who is kidnapped into a different time to save their "world"? Can you do something with that, kind of like A Yankee in King Arthur's Court?

Yes.  But it would be called "A Slacker in a Wizard's Tower."   :)

On 9/4/2020 at 6:02 AM, Claire Tucker said:

Seconded.

So I was talking to my wife on the way to church today (we do Saturday service).  I told her about this thread, and we got to discussing alternate names.

I told her my thoughts on something that included the name "Demon King."  Note: there is a book out there called "The Demon King."  It is a part of a series of books.

But we started "riffing" on a title that included "Demon King."  What I came up with was "Rumor of the Demon King."  The subsequent books would include that same basic title format: "Whispers of the Demon King," "Trials of the Demon King," and so on.

(Those won't be the actual titles, BTW.)

Thoughts, anyone?

4 hours ago, Jeff Potts said:

What I came up with was "Rumor of the Demon King."  The subsequent books would include that same basic title format: "Whispers of the Demon King," "Trials of the Demon King," and so on.

(Those won't be the actual titles, BTW.)

Thoughts, anyone?

That could work.