Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
suspensewriter

How Do You Choose You Story's Theme

Yes, its called UnPregnant, it's about two friends who take what is supposed to be a comedy road trip to the nearest abortion clinic that isn't legally bound to tell the parents their daughter just had an abortion. The spokesperson behind the making of the film said they wanted there to be less stigma attached to abortions. I was very upset when I read about it.

Just now, Rene said:

Yes, its called UnPregnant, it's about two friends who take what is supposed to be a comedy road trip to the nearest abortion clinic that isn't l

That's disgusting!

• Like 1

They aren't even hiding the psychological programming any more, are they? They must really think they've won already to be trying this kinds of things. It certainly reveals the power that Satan believes stories have over people, doesn't it? That's one of the reasons I write. Stories are powerful. They shape people's beliefs and ideas about what's possible, what's appropriate, and what they should be doing.

• Like 3

On 9/4/2020 at 5:17 PM, suspensewriter said:

You're overthinking this!

I've been reading all the responses to your original question as theme is something I always struggle with.  And I believe you've hit the nail on the head with "overthinking this"....  I believe I do exactly that.  Then I get frustrated or flustered and my project stalls out.  I do believe you have to have a strong story but an equally strong (or impactful) theme to support the story. 

I think it comes down to the "chicken and the egg" scenario of which comes first...  theme then story or story then theme.  In then end, I don't think it really matters as long as the end results is a strong story with an impactful theme.  Whether you weave your characters and story around your theme or your theme naturally develops through your character and story building.

That being said, I still struggle with making sure it all flows the way I want.   Of course, I'm relatively new to the process for many reasons. 🙂

• Like 3

Thank you @suspensewriter!

I really appreciated the thought provoking question and responses.  I'm still trying to learn how to use this site to the fullest, as well as learning to piece together the story I've been working on using various resources. These topics of discussion help me realize I'm not alone in the process.  There is comfort in that knowledge.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 11:24 AM, Thomas Davidsmeier said:

They aren't even hiding the psychological programming any more, are they? They must really think they've won already to be trying this kinds of things. It certainly reveals the power that Satan believes stories have over people, doesn't it? That's one of the reasons I write. Stories are powerful. They shape people's beliefs and ideas about what's possible, what's appropriate, and what they should be doing.

Truth!