Would You Pay $$$ for This?

I took part in a webliner yesterday.  

The purpose of the online chat (where the author and the interviewer were not visible and could only be heard). was to promote the author's teaching course. 

They were offering to provide 6 months of tuition comprising of them reading 500 words per student per month aand provide editorial feedback, 2 x online group meetings per month where writer's work would be critiqued by the rest of the group besides the author's feedback and access via a dedicated email address to them for Questions etc. 

The actual content beyond these elements were rather vague - they did mentioned something about giving advice about pitching to agents/publishers and they did make a big deal about self-publishing and how they knew lots SP publishers. To be fair, they admitted that no one from the previous cohort had yet had their work published.

They said they had published over 200 books (co-authored and on their own) Not sure if they were traditional or SP published.

The price for this 'masterclass for a select dozen $14,978 one-off payment with an application fee of $79 (which you got back if you were unsuccessful or got in.)

Now, my question is - would you go for it?

(I left after the price tag - it's about £11K over here)

Edited by Shamrock

Sounds better. Old marketing trick.

I did a bit of digging and found out that the author is working with a company called  Leverage Creative Group, Inc - as the name suggests it helps creative professional promote themselves and their work.

Fair play for the get up and go to the guy  to chase the dollar- but not my kind of thing.

4 hours ago, Shamrock said:

Now, my question is - would you go for it?

(I left after the price tag - it's about £11K over here)

No.

Not for 11K.  That's insane.  And they don't tell you the books they published?  I don't think so.

Agree absolutely with everyone.

What really got my blood going was the guy kept saying how much he 'felt called' to share his knowledge of writing having been so successful.

'Calling' is when you respond to God's invitation to do his work without a price tag. GRRRR😠

19 hours ago, Shamrock said:

6 months of tuition comprising of them reading 500 words per student per month aand provide editorial feedback, 2 x online group meetings per month where writer's work would be critiqued by the rest of the group besides the author's feedback and access via a dedicated email address to them for Questions

500 words per month, twice a month online group meetings where the other "students" critique the work, and an email address? All for nearly $15,000? So how long would it take to go through 500 words, plus maybe four hours of online meeting, and four or five email messages? That's a pretty good wage for a little amount of time.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, carolinamtne said:

A tenth? That's still a lot of money when there are free webinars and sites like this one (where all kinds of advice is free, and most of it is worth taking).

I used that to show up how outrageously overpriced they are. And, there is a point at which you do get what you pay for.

I've spent a fair amount of money in my own education. I can't remember who taught me this, but you can go free and put in the time and effort to sift through everything slowly for yourself or you can pay someone who's already done that work for you. Also, at the moment I'm in a class I paid for because I want to understand my own strengths and weakness. At some point a person willing to take time with *me* deserves to be compensated for their time and expertise. 

But, I've spent far more time utilizing free resources; both are good as long as you don't knock paying to fast track your learning.

Be careful of financially investing in companies whom you don't recognize. Or ones that haven't established themselves as reliable. For example, if they have been around for years and years and a lot of people love their services and say they are worth the money, that may be something to consider. But the question is: what do they have to offer that other companies don't?

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Nope. I could feed a village for that amount. 

I have signed up with Siretona Creative  for author coaching. They are editing my manuscript 140 000 words. 3 hours of coaching every week for six months, which right now is marketing advice and website production and will be more as the editor eats me alive. All for $1500 CD. 

I have just completed my first month and I say they are worth it.