Unagented Fiction Writers Twitter-Pitch Day September 3

Just ran into this on LinkedIn:

https://pitchwars.org/pitmad/ 

"Unagented writers, on Sept 3, you can pitch on Twitter during #pitmad.

They ask for you to have completed your manuscript before pitching, which is the industry norm with fiction. You'll find that this Twitter party is geared mostly for novelists, though there is a hashtag for nonfiction authors.

If an agent requests a partial or full manuscript, look the person up online to ensure he or she is reputable. Your due diligence will avoid you getting caught up with bad actors who jump in to create chaos.

The constraints of a tweet will force you to craft a concise and effective hook. This will strengthen all future pitches.

I'm impressed with opportunities that exist today because of social media and the creativity of people in the industry.

If you participate, let me know how it goes!"

Original link by Ann Kroeker: https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6705170543353618432/ 

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Jeff Potts said:

Great.  Now I can get rejected on two platforms: e-mail and Twitter.   :)

Yes, and I abandoned Twitter because it's horribly full of trolls. But if you don't try, you are rejected by default.

Want help with an elevator pitch. 😉

How about this:

Knocked unconscious, abducted, and dragged across creation, Frankie Falawell is told that he is the chosen champion to save this distant world from a creature known only as the Demon King.  But Frankie?  He begs to differ.

22 minutes ago, Jeff Potts said:

How about this:

Knocked unconscious, abducted, and dragged across creation, Frankie Falawell is told that he is the chosen champion to save this distant world from a creature known only as the Demon King.  But Frankie?  He begs to differ.

Could be tightened a good bit. When every word counts, use only the ones you *must.* So, only 2 verbs in the first sentence, change "creation" to something that tells us this is a space odyssey, no last name, drop "chosen," tighten the whole "this distant world from a creature known only as the Demon King" to maybe 5 words. And then you have room to tell us why your book isn't just a 'chosen hero the 3,406th' story!

14 minutes ago, Celebrianne said:

Could be tightened a good bit. When every word counts, use only the ones you *must.* So, only 2 verbs in the first sentence, change "creation" to something that tells us this is a space odyssey, no last name, drop "chosen," tighten the whole "this distant world from a creature known only as the Demon King" to maybe 5 words. And then you have room to tell us why your book isn't just a 'chosen hero the 3,406th' story!

It's not a space odyssey.  It's the first book in a fantasy series.

And it is "Chosen Hero, the 3406th story," with a major twist in a later book.  My basic problem is, you can't turn a trope on its head without having the trope in the first place.

The series itself is about prophecy and fate.  While some authors use the "Chosen One" thing as a plot device, I'm using it as a major theme.  The Bible is loaded with the foretelling of future events, some that have already come true.  My problem is, that doesn't play well with a one-paragraph query blurb, never mind Twitter's limitations.

Then there are the themes of faith, our struggle with faith, Grace, and the nature of evil.

Believe it or not, the series is inspired by a single line out of Revelation.

"the series is inspired by a single line out of Revelation...the first book in a fantasy series...about prophecy and fate.  While some authors use the "Chosen One" thing as a plot device, I'm using it as a major theme...themes of faith, our struggle with faith, Grace, and the nature of evil."

Now, this is starting to interest me!

Edited by Celebrianne
18 hours ago, Jeff Potts said:

Or how about:

"In a story about prophecy and fate, Frankie Falawell - the Chosen One - discovers that being a prophesied hero isn't easy, and that prophecy doesn't work like everyone thinks it does."

I like the opening, but the rest is cliched. I'd rework after the Chosen One. But you're learning to elevator pitch quickly. Have fun!