Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

7 hours ago, Shamrock said:

I am asking because I am beginning to wonder if my first book's title is the reason I am not getting anywhere with agents/publishers?  It is called 'Demons of Sphinx'  Below is the summary to give you an idea of what it is about.  I am not sure it is working. 

How about A Return to Sphinx

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Shamrock said:

I think I need a title that does not have Sphinx or demons in it. 

Maybe something to do with running/fleeing? That shows up several times in your summary.

• Thanks 1

Fleeing Home, maybe?

No Escape From Memories? Running From the Past?

These all seem a bit long, and I’m probably not the one to ask about titles, either.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Shamrock said:

Any thoughts?

It is August 1982 in the in the small bible belt town of Sphinx, Tennessee. Two 18-year-old teenagers’ lives are transformed with life-changing tragedies that leave them traumatised and lost. Their only bond is their flight from the hometown and a mutual friend. Ten years later, still haunted by their traumas, they meet in York, England and fall in love. United and freed from the past, they return to Sphinx where they discover their childhood friend was the architect of their youthful tragedies and their most dangerous enemy. To save their future, they must choose either to flee once again or confront their demon.  (104)

Some title ideas after reading your blurb:

"Echos of Sphinx"

"In the Shadow of Sphinx"

"Return to Sphinx"

Another thing I like to do with my title ideas is to do a search for them on Amazon. My intention is to pick a title that isn't being used, because a unique title helps to make a book stand out in search results.

Here's an example from one of my books. First, the blurb: 

Joseph Paladin is a national hero everyone thought they knew - a former major in the United States Army, retired colonel in the Maine Republic Militia, and considered one of the key founders of the New American Confederation. His legendary odyssey to reunify a fractured nation in the aftermath of the great flu pandemic is a household story. In his long awaited memoir, Paladin shares untold stories of his past, including a shocking secret that he's harbored for decades. Is he really the person who many hold in high esteem?

The title: "Paladin's Odyssey"

Edited by Accord64

Thanks.

I do check Amazon to make sure the title has not been used.

I am thinking more and more about focusing on the theme of their inner struggles and reconciliation  to be reflected in the title.

The original title was inspired by the healing of the man in Mark 5: 1-13.

Thank you everyone for you input which has been very helpful.

I think I have got a title that works for me  that takes up a completely different thread of the story but still keeps the focus on the core theme of the story.

Thanks again.

On 8/28/2020 at 9:25 PM, carolinamtne said:

Home Is Never What You Left Behind

That is brill. Love it. 

I will take a sounding of this title and the other one with my editor and see what he thinks. Thanks😃

• Like 1

Yes that has been suggested but as I stated I want to drop the word 'Sphinx.'

So far I have

The Legacy of Uncle Ernest

Broken Souls

Don't know how the the vote thingy but any comments welcomed. This is for the first book Demons.

Titles are tough. I spent two nights just looking up everything imaginable for a project and googling stuff that I never thought anyone would use, and there they were! they all were used. Every single one!  I've given up worrying about it!  As of now, I have for my linked-story novel, The Personal Files of Branwen Bond. (She's a loving warm person with a therapist's license who first came to life in one of this year's novellas.

I didn't catch that you want to drop Sphinx in your title. I'm thinking (or would if I had something besides wet mush in my head right now) it would be cool to have something ominous to modify either Legacy or Uncle Ernest. I like the ring of TLOUE more than Broken Souls. Maybe I'll play with a title generator for your WIP to take a break from my WIP. Good searching!

• Like 1