Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
josie

1500 BCE children

My book is set in 1500 BCE. What will my young heroine call her mother, father, and great-grandmother? Thanks!

What country/kingdom are you writing in?  The language will determine the moniker. Also her status. 

I look forward to knowing more about your story!

• Like 1

Why wouldn't she just call them father, mother and (probably) grandma, or grandmother? Of course, she wouldn't be speaking English, but since the story is presumably written in English, it makes sense to use the English-equivalent words.

• Like 1

Agree with Zee. They would call their parents something that would be the equivalent of Mother or Mom and Father or Dad or some such.

• Like 1

I think "mam" is used in the British Isles. Don't know about how far it goes back.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for input! Love it. Yes, the era is around Moses' time and happens in that same general location, the wilderness of Shur. The story is about a family who lived there during that time but is not connected directly with any of the biblical characters such as Jethro for instance.

Added info: Ancient children did call their elders by the same names they called their parents. As for using plain old good English words, why not? I might do that.

Edited by josie
Added info

I would do "Mother" and "Father," maybe "mama" and "papa" for a young child or an affectionate name. Keep it simple and relatable.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2020 at 11:27 AM, josie said:

As for using plain old good English words, why not? I might do that.

I presume you have them talking in English because the story is written in English.