Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Hello all. My memoir is ALMOST at the point where I'll be looking for some feedback. I'm hoping to send it out to betas within the next week and by the end of this month at the latest. I thought I'd check here first to see if there's anyone that would be interested in reading it.

A few notes, my target audience is women (not sure men would find it interesting). Also, by the end I've learned some Christian lessons but I do share about my secular experiences prior to that moment. So fair warning, it's not explicit but I did just want to warn you about that. I'll paste my preface below to give you more of an idea about it. The preface is just a rough draft. If you'd like to give feedback on it, I'll certainly take it BUT I wrote it in like five minutes and haven't revisited yet so I suspect it has some errors. If there isn't any interest here, I'll also take ideas on where to find beta readers rather quickly :) 

ROUGH DRAFT OF PREFACE 

Has the Holy Spirit ever spoken to you? Before you answer that, allow me to interrupt. I sincerely hope that this book finds itself in the hands of many women - black, white, brown, purple, rich, poor, Christian, spiritual, atheist - whoever. So, if the Holy Spirit hasn’t ever said anything to you, that’s okay. If you don’t even believe in the Holy Spirit, I want to talk to you too. 

You see, God has spoken to me. There are countless times that I’ve ignored Him and a few where I listened. The way that my life unfolded would never make you guess that my mother raised me in church. She had taken us almost every Sunday. And when I say church, I mean church. I’m talking about the black Baptist church. The kind of church where you rush in on Sunday morning, sit on a wooden pew most of the day, leave, eat, and possibly return for evening service. But when life took the girl out of the church, there was no church left in the girl. 

Still, God talked to me. As the least likely author, God called me to write a book. This book. He told me that I went through what I went through, to help someone else. He even gave me the title: “From Rough to Ruby”. We often hear about a diamond in the rough. But did you know that high-quality rubies are rarer than diamonds? Actually, diamonds aren’t in short supply at all. It’s an illusion. In order to keep charging top dollar, the big companies push a false narrative that choice diamonds are hard to find. 

So why rubies? Proverbs 31 is a chapter in the Bible that describes the essence of the perfect Christian woman. Verse 10 describes her worth as being far above that of a ruby. That precious gem that is exceptionally rare pales in comparison to the value of her character. But who is she? And how can you get her to show up in your life? I can only tell you how she showed up in mine. 

So what’s my story? I sure hope you’ll stick around to find out.  

• Like 2

This sounds fascinating; it's a good intro. I would love to beta read for you.  I'm learning to beta read and edit, so I hope you have several responses.  You will want to compare comments, and note  particularly when multiple people make the same comment.

oh yay! I just did a read thru and want to make a few minor changes before I send it out. Homeschooling my son with my toddler has been an adventure so I haven't addressed them yet but will prioritize doing so before Sept 1. As far as other betas I only have one other so far but I'm waiting on a few other responses. This is my first book and so I'm learning to edit as well. But I so appreciate your response! Would it be possible for you to email me at jasmine.harmoni31@gmail.com so that I can have your email to keep up with you. Thanks again. I will email an update when it's going to be on it's way

Hi JasmineH! Do you still need betareaders? Your story sounds interesting and I'd be happy to betaread for you if you need anymore help.

19 hours ago, Rene said:

Hi JasmineH! Do you still need betareaders? Your story sounds interesting and I'd be happy to betaread for you if you need anymore help.

Thank you so much for offering! I just received the feedback from this round of betas. Turns out my memoir needs quite a bit of trimming. If you're interested and think you'll have time in about 1.5 months - 2 months   I'd like to send it out again to a new round of betas. I would love to have you if you think you'll have time then. 

If you won't mind me reaching out to you after the changes are made, please email me a quick note just so that I can save your contact information. If you'll be busier then, I'll totally understand. Thanks for your interest either way!      

Jasmine I had to remove your email address as bots roam the site and love to gobble them up. You are welcome to communicate through the private message system. :)

31 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

Jasmine I had to remove your email address as bots roam the site and love to gobble them up. You are welcome to communicate through the private message system. :)

Oh I didn't know. Thank you! I literally just found out that there's a private message system on here because another user just sent me something.