Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Peter Garvin

Hello From Africa

Hi Everyone,  Nice to find somewhere where I can get like minded feedback.  I live in Zimbabwe, been a safari guide all my life and a Christian for 30 years. Having accumulated a fair bit of knowledge on both subjects, I thought I would be clever and combine my experiences into a fictional novel with a underlying Christian message in the book. Now that's been done, the time has come to find a agent/publisher... eeeishhh.  I'm sure like many of you, I've only now discovered its not that easy.  Self Publishing route the best option?  Any thoughts or comments would be great!!

Welcome to our writing family, Peter. Glad you joined us. The best to do, which it sounds like you're doing, is to thoroughly research both types of publishing. Just remember, that almost all publishers will not even recognize you unless you have an agent. There are a few small presses that will accept you without an agent. If you decide to go the self-publishing route, be sure you check in with us here because there are numerous scammers out there who will rob your wallet in the blink of an eye.

You'll find plenty of help, support, and encouragement around here, so roam around and make yourself at home. Blessings on your writing! :D

• Like 2

Hi Again,  Sorry please excuse my ignorance, but can someone give me a little insight into self publishing?  Various publishers ask for a fair amount of money and offer a variety of advertising options, but how effective are they in getting your book out there?  Printing is done on demand but unless its marketed properly nobody will buy it. 

Do not pay for this so-called self-publishing. It is merely called vanity publishing. You don't need to pay those exorbitant prices. That's why I mentioned that you be sure to check in with us. To self-publish on Amazon (or one of the similar ones) requires very little output.

Oh, and if you go the traditional route (with an agent and publisher), just know that you will have to do the biggest part of the marketing yourself. ;)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Peter Garvin said:

I have been communicating with Xulon Press from Maitland, Florida. Any comments?

I missed this. There are red flags for me. I won't make any judgment calls but suggest you google "complaints against Xulon." And I hope you haven't signed anything.

52 minutes ago, jennifer1113 said:

Lynn thank you for information, I found it helpful!

You're welcome, Jennifer. :D

• Thanks 1

Hello from a Canadafrican!  Africa never leaves our blood. Reading about her keeps those of us who can't be there warm and fed, so please keep us updated about your book!