Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
suspensewriter

I'm Thinking of Writing Something to do with Time Travel- Any Advice?

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

Three months, give or take.

If you jumped back three months in time, you'd be done by now.

I'll also agree that Arq was a decent time-travel movie...

...along with Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

Edited by Jeff Potts
  • Like 1

On 8/11/2020 at 2:47 PM, paulchernoch said:

On Netflix, the movie "Arq" was cool.

Thanks for the recommendation. I just finished watching it. I thought it was smartly written with a low budget that was well utilized. I enjoyed it...

**spoiler alert**

...up until the end.

@suspensewriter recently posted a topic about ending a story well. I think this movie serves as a good example of this. The story skillfully maneuvered toward what I expected to be a clever and intriguing ending. But instead, I felt like it suddenly gave up and collapsed at the finish line in a dark cliche. Other than that, I thought it was pretty well done. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

Wait a minute- Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure?  Now I have something else to read!

It’s actually a movie - but it’s hysterical!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, PenName said:

It’s actually a movie - but it’s hysterical!

It's a charming classic. A comedic play on time travel.

billted.gif.dc7cfb0dad389a05585a9490dbda87a5.gif

Edited by Accord64
  • Like 2

From a Christian perspective, there is the idea that God and angels are outside of the bounds of time, as well as earthly physics, including the mind-bending concept that supernatural beings can "step into" time at any point on the timeline.

• Like 1

The funny thing about Bill and Ted's Excellent adventure is that, if you watch close, there are some really interesting time-travel nuggets in there.  They set up a bunch of stuff at the beginning, and you don't really notice it, only to have it show up somewhere past the middle.

And then there is Primer.  My suggestion is that if you watch that movie, abstain from alcohol for at least a week, and bring a box of note pads to help you follow the story.  I was able to follow it to a point, but then they started to lose me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jeff Potts said:

I was able to follow it to a point, but then they started to lose me.

I loved how they walked all over time travel paradoxes - like in this scene:

• Like 1

I wrote one story, not exactly time travel, but concerning the speed of light. The idea was that if we travel out into space at above the speed of light, what would the earth be like when we got back?

Really I was just exploring the idea of writing just a little science fiction.

You can look it up, the story is free to read. Ok, I'm not supposed to do this but its called One Drop In Time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Accord64 said:

I loved how they walked all over time travel paradoxes

That was EXACTLY the scene I was thinking of.

The other was, "Wow!  That conversation made a lot more sense this time."

• Like 1

Late to the party here, but I have a few thoughts...
1.) As a Doc Brown, I approve of time travel stories. 🙂

2.) Ray Bradbury's story about the dinosaur hunt is one of the best stories of unintended time travel consequences I've ever read.

3.) On Star Trek, in one episode of TNG I remember well none of the crew remembered the alternate timeline once they had escaped from it, except for one alien who had perception of alternate realities.

4.) I absolutely believe God exists outside of time. Time is part of the created universe. I'm less sure about angels being outside time. If you want to have your mind completely blown, read Jewish physicist Gerald Schroeder's book The Science of God.

5.) Now for my own thought on the subject: Time travel stories are extremely difficult to get right as far as causality problems and ripple effects and general plot holes. Movies and TV series generally have glaring holes in them. And for me, when a series not inherently about time travel suddenly adds a time travel plot line, that's usually bad news. So, I would say you'll need to spend a lot of time on the outlining and plotting and thinking through consequences of even the slightest timeline disruptions. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2020 at 1:20 PM, Claire Tucker said:

This made me think of the movie "the Prince of Persia".

I love the Prince of Persia! Watched it loads of times.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2020 at 6:10 AM, suspensewriter said:

You've convinced me--I'll watch it!

Whenever you do, let us know what you think! 

7 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

I'm watching it tonight, @PenName!

I'll be interested to know what you think!

On 8/13/2020 at 8:39 PM, zx1ninja said:

Whatever you do, don't use a DeLorean or a hot tub.

A hot tub can be a Brownian Motion generator. Because it's not impossible to travel in time. It's just infinitely improbable.

Heinlen's Door into Summer  has an interesting concept of a time machine that may go either way, past or future, at random. There can be interesting quantum mechanical implications in that.