Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
suspensewriter

I'm Thinking of Writing Something to do with Time Travel- Any Advice?

Posted (edited)

I wrote a time-travel story. The way I see it, there are four schools of thought on this:

1. Time/history is fixed. If you are able to time travel, anything you do to change the past will either fail, or become part of history as we all know.

2. Time/History is fluid. You can go back in time and change anything, and it will change the future. The "Back to the Future" movies made this one popular.

3. Time/history is layered into infinite possibilities (multiverses). If you go back in time, make a change, it will only create another alternate reality. Your original reality/history still exists, but on different plain of existence. This can get very complicated.  

4. History is fixed, and there is only one plain of reality in the universe that God created. Period. End of story. Time travel by scientific means is impossible (breaks all rules of physics, etc.), mainly because God prohibits it. Allowing someone to go back in time to change things undermines the very sovereignty of God. However, on rare occasions, a miracle occurs that can take someone back (or forward). But this occurs only by the will of God for a very specific purpose, and it won't change anything in history. For example: you're allowed to go back to witness David defeat Goliath. You can't change the outcome, or anything surrounding it. But perhaps, before the encounter, you're allowed to place the stones that David used in his sling? 

I chose #4 for my story. A grown man miraculously wakes up in his high school past, and has to figure out why he was put there. What he does only ends up becoming what already happened, but a brief encounter ends up changing a life that he would connect with after he got back to the present.   

Edited by Accord64
  • Like 2

I'm not to sure about time travel.  Too many things can happen just being where you weren't. Unless you can only travel within the time you have lived, no more. @Accord64 scenarios just touch the tip of the ice berg of possibilities. 

A headache is coming 😫 just thinking about it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, suspensewriter said:

So I'm thinking of doing a book on Time Travel.  Any advice from a Christian perspective?

If I ever had the ability to time travel, I'd go back to the Resurrection to witness it for myself.

Faith is one thing, but to see the Hand of God in action for your self - the terror and the grandeur - is beyond any experience a human being can have.  

Everything in our world changed in a matter of 3 days.  The Resurrection led to Christianity.  Christianity led to the rise of the West.  The rise of the West led to the Enlightenment.  The Enlightenment led to the establishment of the United States of America.  It had a hand in the Magna Carta, English Common Law, the Gutenberg press. 

• Like 1

There do seem to be a few examples of time travel/manipulation in the Bible...the one where the sun stands still for an unspecified period of time (long enough for Joshua and the people of Israel to win a battle) and the other during the life of the prophet Isaiah, where the sun goes back fifteen degrees on the king’s sundial.

And then there are also the intriguing accounts of Enoch and Elijah, the men who never really died...and in the case of Elijah, apparently returned as John the Baptist. Not strictly time-travel, perhaps, but interesting all the same. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

Any advice from a Christian perspective?

When I was a child I used to enjoy watching Superbook, that animated series about children who would go back to Bible times and witness events that are recorded in Scripture. I don't have a theological view about it, but I found it entertaining.

• Like 1

Haven't heard that in years. It was on CBN, SW. The website is still there for kids with Bible stories. Good stories.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

So I'm thinking of doing a book on Time Travel. 

Hi, this is Johne from the future. You did great. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

26 minutes ago, Johne said:

Hi, this is Johne from the future. You did great.

Oh, no, Johne from the future - you just created a branch in the time continuum.  He'll indeed do great, but now Marvel won't ever make a good super-hero movie again, and Kanye West won the election! Funny how the Butterfly Effect works. 🤪

• Haha 1

Random thought - in Star Trek when they do time travel, the people who traveled always remember the "old" past, not the altered "new" past. It might be interesting if you played with the time travelers knowing they would have altered memories when they returned to the present.

This is of course assuming you use the variation of time travel where the past can be changed. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PenName said:

they would have altered memories when they returned to the present.

That's a good idea. That will make a really neat story! Especially if you connect to events that happen before the time travel, so the reader knows the difference.

• Like 2

I love time travel stories. On Netflix, the movie "Arq" was cool. 

I like stories where they use highly limited time travel concepts. 

• You can send your consciousness back into the mind of another person. (Travellers, TV show.)
  • You can send messages, but not people or things. (Frequency, movie starring Jim Caviezel, Dennis Quaid.)
  • There is a backstop - you can't go back before the day you were born. (About Time)
  • You can see the future, but not go there. (Paycheck, starring Ben Affleck and Uma Thurman.)
  • Trauma sends person's consciousness to different times in their own life (Premonition, with Sandra Bullock)

Here is an idea I haven't seen used. The earth is moving about the sun and the sun is drifting through the Milky Way. If you go back in time, you will be in the vacuum of space. The limit is that you need a space ship that can get you to earth's new position. The farther you travel in time, the better a space ship you need.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, paulchernoch said:

On Netflix, the movie "Arq" was cool. 

All right, now you've got me hooked.  I'll have to watch it!

On 8/11/2020 at 2:41 AM, PenName said:

It might be interesting if you played with the time travelers knowing they would have altered memories when they returned to the present.

Late to the conversation, but going to jump in anyway. This made me think of the movie "the Prince of Persia". Only the main character knew what had happened before he rewound time back to the "starting point" of the story. This meant that he now knew people who didn't know him, because before time was reversed he had gotten to know them but only he knew that because he was the one involved in rewinding time... 

@suspensewriter, I'm sure you'll write a great time travel story! 

• Like 3