Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Jeff Potts

The first rule in beta reading is...

...make sure the beta reader actually likes the genera before you ask them to read the book.

If it wasn't for the beer, that dinner meeting would have been very painful.  Just sayin'.

Was anything said that could be helpful? Sometimes even the worst critiques have something useful, a silver lining, perhaps?

15 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

Was anything said that could be helpful? Sometimes even the worst critiques have something useful, a silver lining, perhaps?

Yes.  My wife knows this person, and she told me that if there was anything glaringly wrong, the beta reader would tell me.  I got none of that.

She told me I was a really descriptive writer, and was concerned that elementary kids wouldn't understand the book.  When I said the target audience was 13 years and up, it then clicked for her. 

I was a little dismayed that she didn't know some sections of the book .  She ended up having to re-read sections just to answer some of my questions.  Though I will say that the she read over that parts that were supposed to have problems in them, and saw nothing wrong.  So that helped.  And, there were some sections of the book she knew off of the top of her head.  That means they were memorable enough for her to remember.   But because she just wasn't in to the book, it made the back and forth painful.  I got a TON of feedback from Beta Reader #1.

I also got the feedback I wanted on the minions of the antagonist.

All in all, I'm putting on in the "win" category.  It was better than I feared, but nor as good as the sit-down with Beta Reader #1.  And I guess that's a good thing given that I'm going through the soul-sucking process of updating edits from the editor, and researching agents / publishers.

I think the next beta readers I round up, I'm going to make sure they like the genera that I'm writing.